Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Aveling Build - Rosehill Waters

Page 4 of 13
Yeah everyone signs something like that, I know I did too. Doesn't mean they can build stuff that doesn't work. My approach would be "I'm happy to pay the upgrade for sliders to then linen, however I refuse to pay the variation fee as what you have drawn simply does not work". Be polite, but stand your ground
I agree that they should not be charging a variation on a item that would not pass as "fit for purpose" for most people.
nicolac34
So the contracts are finally ready! I've been emailed the addenda and plans and I have one issue with the linen cupboard in the laundry.... after opinions. Would this bother you? The fact that the tall bit of the cupboard is mostly blocked off - I calculate we'd have 28cm to get things in and out of if. But the solution is probably sliding doors which will come with a $250 variation price tag and the plans being lost into the depths of the drafting department for another week or so...

What to do!

That broom cupboard would be pretty much unusable I would argue the point about paying a fee, and I’m surprised they didn’t pick that up while it was being drafted again, really hope they sort it out for you
We signed the same disclaimer, but HGWA still let us change things after prestart with no variation. We changed two or three things and they just sent us variations each time but continued to move forward with the scheduling. We did get a warning after the 3rd change that the next one would incur a variation fee haha I would definitely argue it!
Finally spoke to the consultant late yesterday afternoon, they are going to cost up putting sliding doors in the space. She wouldn't confirm whether we would be charged a variation fee - so watch this space.

Otherwise we are happy and will be returning the final contracts today:

That's one good looking house!
Looks great! I’ll keep my fingers crossed that you don’t get charged a variation fee
Update!

So after a bit of confusion over brickwork in the laundry cupboard we have signed off the variation to replace the brick & standard doors with sliding doors across the whole opening of the cupboard - for no charge! So that was a relief.

Waiting on the Building Permit which should come in by tomorrow, bank needs to pay the deposit and then we will finally be in Construction!
Beauty! Great outcome
Great news.
Good to hear that they didn’t charge you
Logged on to the City of Swan this morning - Building Permit approved!! Just waiting for Aveling to send me it through so I can forward to the bank and they can make the first payment. I think the public holidays are out to get us on this build.... chances are nothing will happen until mid-next week now, but I feel like the end of this lengthily admin stage is in sight!!
nicolac34
Logged on to the City of Swan this morning - Building Permit approved!! Just waiting for Aveling to send me it through so I can forward to the bank and they can make the first payment. I think the public holidays are out to get us on this build.... chances are nothing will happen until mid-next week now, but I feel like the end of this lengthily admin stage is in sight!!

Yay! How exciting. You're getting closer. The building permit may come to you? Mine building permit came to me & i forwarded it on to my builder as i was unsure if they received a copy. I also forwarded it on to my broker so they could have a copy and/or forward to the bank to hopefully make things move a little quicker. As soon as i forwarded on to the builder my permit i received my construction letter.
Summitlovin
nicolac34

Yay! How exciting. You're getting closer. The building permit may come to you? Mine building permit came to me & i forwarded it on to my builder as i was unsure if they received a copy. I also forwarded it on to my broker so they could have a copy and/or forward to the bank to hopefully make things move a little quicker. As soon as i forwarded on to the builder my permit i received my construction letter.

Yes I was surprised but they did email me a copy and cc'd the builder in. This has gone to the broker and he hopes to have it sorted by Monday. Aveling have said they need the deposit paid before we move into construction so hoping the bank is quick!
nicolac34
Summitlovin
nicolac34

Yes I was surprised but they did email me a copy and cc'd the builder in. This has gone to the broker and he hopes to have it sorted by Monday. Aveling have said they need the deposit paid before we move into construction so hoping the bank is quick!

May I ask what the deposit is for? Are you doing a house & land package or did you purchase your land then pick the builder?
It’s sort of a house and land package, although we did buy the land and then sort the building contract out. We were limited to a choice of only 4 builders on the development.

The deposit is the first major payment on their schedule of payments, next one is the slab down payment. We haven’t paid them anything so far so guess they want something to get started?

They did email and say our file has been passed to construction - so guess we didn’t need to wait after all!
Congrats, hopefully you move through construction quickly.
nicolac34
It’s sort of a house and land package, although we did buy the land and then sort the building contract out. We were limited to a choice of only 4 builders on the development.

The deposit is the first major payment on their schedule of payments, next one is the slab down payment. We haven’t paid them anything so far so guess they want something to get started?

They did email and say our file has been passed to construction - so guess we didn’t need to wait after all!

My friend had a similar thing signed off on a large sum before the build & then got another invoice at slab. Exciting stuff! Won't be long now until you see some earthworks
We stopped by for a look at the estate on the weekend and discovered a tap!

Playing the waiting game now - hopefully will see some work happening on our site soon.

Still waiting..... how long is it usually once the say you are 'in the construction phase' to actually being told anything is going to happen?
Related
21/02/2024
Fixed Price build Contract Vs Project management build

Building A New House

Thank you so much everyone. This all makes a lot of sense. I guess when you talk to a builder who butters up everything to look very polished, you get to start believing…

10/06/2023
Pathway to new build : WWYD

Home Finance

A person needs to be licensed to offer financial advice. Surely the accountant you use would have been chosen for his/her expertise in this field. Have you asked your…

20/07/2023
Building Site Access - Victoria - New Build

General Discussion

For reference, this is the Austlii reference. My take on this is, that they would be breaking the law denying access to a homeowner in Victoria, or their agent from having…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum