Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

SETTLING IN - Valeco - Polished Concrete + Monochrome

Page 4 of 27
I'm still unsure about having Jet Black benchtop with Natural Oak cabinets (in the bathrooms). I can't find any inspiration images online that have black benchtops and oak cabinets - they're all white benchtops.

The reason we didn't choose a white is that we don't particularly love any, and my partner's preference was black.

Any thoughts/advice? Anyone seen that pairing before?
One thing to consider is how much water drips and streaks will show up on shiny black surfaces (a lot). We went with black/white/blond timber throughout and think its a pretty good combo. But we picked white bench tops for that reason.

Nice choices!

manderinne
One thing to consider is how much water drips and streaks will show up on shiny black surfaces (a lot). We went with black/white/blond timber throughout and think its a pretty good combo. But we picked white bench tops for that reason.

Yeah, well that's actually why my partner wanted black. He preferred being able to see when it's dirty so that it can be cleaned. Haha. I think my problem is that I don't particularly like black benchtops and prefer white. But I should really make a compromise because a lot of other selections have been my choice.

Picto
Nice choices!

Thanks!!
it all looks awesome! nice selections... a lot of the things you've chosen are the same as our as well. Colours will look great.

we will most likely go with white benches for the bathroom, and then have darker features elsewhere.

We are going the same oak, but in our kitchen, with the raw concrete.

Our land registered yesterday we are super behind with all the construction stuff. eeep!
gr8ly
it all looks awesome! nice selections... a lot of the things you've chosen are the same as our as well. Colours will look great.

we will most likely go with white benches for the bathroom, and then have darker features elsewhere.

We are going the same oak, but in our kitchen, with the raw concrete.

Our land registered yesterday we are super behind with all the construction stuff. eeep!

Thanks so much!! Haha, great minds think alike eh!?

Yes - I think my preference would really be for a white benchtop because I plan to eventually get matt black taps/toilet roll holder/towel wrack etc. And would have bought matt black soap dispenser etc. BUT, my partner chose black... and I'm happy enough to go with his choice. (He has let me choose basically everything in the house so far, so it's only fair. haha)

Oooooo oak and the raw concrete will look stunning!! I'm so excited for you! That's awesome!

We really loved the raw and sleek concrete too, it's one selection that I'm uncertain if we've made the right choice. My reasoning is that I like the contrast between the fresh concrete and black cabinets and all canisters/plant pots etc that will sit on the bench. If we went with raw/sleek we would want it to match our concrete floor - but we have no way to know which one would match best. At least with fresh concrete it doesn't have to match. /shrugs.

YAY!!! Hopefully it all comes together quickly for you now that the land is registered.
Will you be starting a thread of your own? Would love to follow!
no i think your selections will look awesome with the flooring. But i don't think you could go wrong with any of concrete finishes, even if its slightly different to your floor. The matt black cabinets will bring it all together i reckon.. i cant wait to see it when its done.

We actually just got back from valeco.. our guy stayed back late to finalise our floor plan. We were there for 5 hours!!! We have changed it so many times already.. but i think we are finally happy with the floor plan... just need to see if we can afford the variations we want (and there are so many lol).

yeah i will need to start a thread, but thought i should finalise our plan first.

I think our homes will be very similar in style judging by your choices so far.
Holy crap, 5 hours - that's insane!!! Hahaha

Can't wait to see it when you post a thread!

Looks like we'll be racing to build our homes
Following along. We're Building in stage 3. It's our first time building but it is an investment property and we live in sydney. So haven't saw the block yet

Oh awesome!
Have you chosen a builder/plan?
How did I miss you did selections

I love them all!!! How exciting!!!

Can't wait to see your kitchen splash back, what a stunning tile

GJ Gardner Modified Coolum 277
http://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=83643
Haha thanks Charlie!!

Getting very excited! Our land should register this month... I'm keen for the building process to start. Just want to see it all starting to come to life.
Hopefully we've made all the right choices.
any progress? we have had to wait for our land to settle for the bank to approve our construction loan. Now (it feels like forever), we have arranged for our working drawings to be done... finally!

has your land registered?
How have I missed this thread! LOVE your selections! I wanted the same colour tones as you but my husband and builder totally changed my mind, and I love my choices but still. You will have one striking, dramatic house! Where are you up to now? I love watching builds in QLD let alone right in surrounding suburbs
gr8ly
any progress? we have had to wait for our land to settle for the bank to approve our construction loan. Now (it feels like forever), we have arranged for our working drawings to be done... finally!

has your land registered?

Hey!

Our land hasn't registered yet. It is supposed to this month, but I haven't heard any updates.

We're currently in the process of getting our loan sorted anyway. We have to wait until end of financial year so that we can provide this years numbers (we're both self employed and our figures are much better this year).

As far as I'm aware our house plans are still with council too.

I find the process pretty confusing anyway, I'm not gonna lie. haha! But we haven't really been chasing anything or asking for updates etc because we need our loan approval done first anyway.

Yay! Awesome to hear your working drawings are underway! So excited to see you start a thread!
allblaqk
How have I missed this thread! LOVE your selections! I wanted the same colour tones as you but my husband and builder totally changed my mind, and I love my choices but still. You will have one striking, dramatic house! Where are you up to now? I love watching builds in QLD let alone right in surrounding suburbs

hey!!!

Naww, thanks!!
I'm pretty picky when it comes to selections, hehe. I would spend hours upon hours looking at inspiration on pinterest and instagram. I always new I wanted a monochrome theme, but it was a matter of determining what should be what. (kitchen = black cabinets, white benchtop, where to put wood features, what colours to use on facade etc etc.) I think I have a love for contrast (which is pretty evident in my photography too), and keeping everything neutral means colour can be added elsewhere (if we decide to, but probably just kids rooms) and freshness with plants etc. So I don't think a builder could have swayed my opinion if they tried. haha. Having seen inspiration pictures that matched my intended selections meant that I knew it would work. The only choice I'm unsure on is our bathroom black benchtops (partners choice) with the oak cabinets. I couldn't find many reference images with that combination, most were white benchtops. Fingers crossed it works!
Your house looks incredible though and your selections are lovely!
Still monochrome by the looks of it, but less contrast and a darker wood than we will have featured. You could easily add contrast (if you wanted it) through furniture items. I can't wait to see more photos, I'll be following along!
staceyrussell
hey!!!

Naww, thanks!!
I'm pretty picky when it comes to selections, hehe. I would spend hours upon hours looking at inspiration on pinterest and instagram. I always new I wanted a monochrome theme, but it was a matter of determining what should be what. (kitchen = black cabinets, white benchtop, where to put wood features, what colours to use on facade etc etc.) I think I have a love for contrast (which is pretty evident in my photography too), and keeping everything neutral means colour can be added elsewhere (if we decide to, but probably just kids rooms) and freshness with plants etc. So I don't think a builder could have swayed my opinion if they tried. haha. Having seen inspiration pictures that matched my intended selections meant that I knew it would work. The only choice I'm unsure on is our bathroom black benchtops (partners choice) with the oak cabinets. I couldn't find many reference images with that combination, most were white benchtops. Fingers crossed it works!
Your house looks incredible though and your selections are lovely!
Still monochrome by the looks of it, but less contrast and a darker wood than we will have featured. You could easily add contrast (if you wanted it) through furniture items. I can't wait to see more photos, I'll be following along!

I'm sure your bathrooms will look awesome and very unique! I love your selections so much, I can't wait to see how it looks in the house! I'm the same as you, I am planning to only add a bit of colour through accessories. I've always loved monochrome.
staceyrussell
Hey!

Our land hasn't registered yet. It is supposed to this month, but I haven't heard any updates.

We're currently in the process of getting our loan sorted anyway. We have to wait until end of financial year so that we can provide this years numbers (we're both self employed and our figures are much better this year).

As far as I'm aware our house plans are still with council too.

I find the process pretty confusing anyway, I'm not gonna lie. haha! But we haven't really been chasing anything or asking for updates etc because we need our loan approval done first anyway.

Yay! Awesome to hear your working drawings are underway! So excited to see you start a thread!

Hope you got your loan organised! We got our working drawings back, but still need to make adjustments... meanwhile finally started a thread. Next is colour appointment, and then finally send off to council... seriously such a long process!
Heyyyy!! Wonderful news!!!
Just left you a comment on your thread.

We just got our conditional loan approval today, yayyyy!! We were getting a little stressed, but we should be ready for settlement at the end of the month.

Then we just need to touch base with Valeco again to provide our finance approval and to see what stage everything is up to as we haven't heard anything since plans were sent to council (but maybe it's been in limbo due to waiting on finance).
staceyrussell
Heyyyy!! Wonderful news!!!
Just left you a comment on your thread.

We just got our conditional loan approval today, yayyyy!! We were getting a little stressed, but we should be ready for settlement at the end of the month.

Then we just need to touch base with Valeco again to provide our finance approval and to see what stage everything is up to as we haven't heard anything since plans were sent to council (but maybe it's been in limbo due to waiting on finance).

Yay! congrats! always a good feeling. We have done it the other way around. We didn't expect our land to register as quickly as it did. I'm sure you are very very close to getting started then
Related
20/09/2023
Does this concrete perimeter raise any concern? Help please!

Paving & Concreting

i had the my concreters concrete right up to the fence. I have pits all along my path, so the water tends to drain away from the house and into the pits. There's only one…

20/06/2023
Gutter cleaning tools for concrete tiled roof.

General Discussion

No, I even have sections of narrowness where the tiles won't slide up any further. When I manage some spare time, I might play around with the first DIY part of my…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum