Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building Bayside : Our Glendale 45

Page 25 of 32
Drew what happened finally regarding your phone and internet. I too dont have Nbn yet so have to take a separate phone line. Do u have a phone line in your house now. Did you take the Nbn Package? Someone came on Friday from Telstra and said that they will connect the phone line outside but I have to get an electrician to get it inside to the garage or wherever M has put phone point?

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t
I think it depends on what wiring you had done.

I had category 5 wiring from outside the house to inside our study which is the first room inside the front door for us.

None of the Telstra techs had any issue connecting to the wiring inside the home. I'm austel certified, so can legally do my own data and communication cabling, but the answer that they'll only go to the outside of the house is call centre scripting.

The techs all understand that the service is useless if it can't be consumed.

We ended up with overhead cable for the cable internet and phone, and the tech who did the internet put a splitter in so if we want to get Foxtel or move the modem to another room with the cable in it we can.

Happy to help you work out how to make what you gave had done during the build work with the least grief

Drew01
I think it depends on what wiring you had done.

I had category 5 wiring from outside the house to inside our study which is the first room inside the front door for us.

None of the Telstra techs had any issue connecting to the wiring inside the home. I'm austel certified, so can legally do my own data and communication cabling, but the answer that they'll only go to the outside of the house is call centre scripting.

We ended up with overhead cable for the cable internet and phone, and the tech who did the internet put a splitter in so if we want to get Foxtel or move the modem to another room with the cable in it we can.

Happy to help you work out how to make what you gave had done during the build work with the least grief

Hi Drew Thank you for your assistance. I will PM you my electrical plans or my mobile number , if you prefer to explain over the phone rather than a message. I took the NBN Package with Metricon but we dont have NBN yet in our area, so that means I will not have phone through the modem box like I have in my rental.

[quote="Drew01"]I think it depends on what wiring you had done.

[/quote

Wondering if this option is viable:

Just sign up with telstra cable. (more expensive I suppose) if your area has it.

Telstra will do underground for u with your conduit.

Once nbn hfc comes to your area essentially you will use the same cable so nothing to do at that time except nbn send u a new NTD.

Then use VoIP for your phone line instead of PSTN which u have to when NBN comes.

Or sign up foxtel and their Internet with their cable essentially the same cable when NBN hfc comes.
Telstra cable underground installation isn't "free" anymore unless you have a lead-in provisioned through to the house, and there are pits on your side of the street.

for us to provision cable underground was going to cost just shy of $7k which is a complete rip-off.

What happens when NBN HFC comes to town, if you have a Smart Modem 1 or Smart Modem 2 is that they migrate your PSTN service to VOIP using the same modem.

All new Foxtel sign-ups are satellite, as they are trying to get rid of HFC in favour of ADSL in all areas.

My advice is that if you want a FAST Internet connection, try and get Telstra cable - there's an $89 bundle for 50 mbps unlimited cable and unlimited phone calls available that includes the modem, etc. and if you sweet talk your case manager, you'll get 100 mbps unlimited cable for the same money, which is what happened to us.

We also had all installation fees waived due to them not being able to provision underground for a reasonable price.
Drew01
Telstra cable underground installation isn't "free" anymore unless you have a lead-in provisioned through to the house, and there are pits on your side of the street.

for us to provision cable underground was going to cost just shy of $7k which is a complete rip-off.

What happens when NBN HFC comes to town, if you have a Smart Modem 1 or Smart Modem 2 is that they migrate your PSTN service to VOIP using the same modem.

All new Foxtel sign-ups are satellite, as they are trying to get rid of HFC in favour of ADSL in all areas.

My advice is that if you want a FAST Internet connection, try and get Telstra cable - there's an $89 bundle for 50 mbps unlimited cable and unlimited phone calls available that includes the modem, etc. and if you sweet talk your case manager, you'll get 100 mbps unlimited cable for the same money, which is what happened to us.

We also had all installation fees waived due to them not being able to provision underground for a reasonable price.
Wow you know so much on this! We have cable in our area and now we have to get PSTN line as the cable does not have a phone line. The lead in guy called and said he was sick today and will try and come tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed as my Nbn apmt is on Wednesday and I have been told that the pstn line has to go first and then the cable can go through in the same conduit.....so fine the dates are since the lead is was delayed from 11th Feb till last Friday! Shocking!

Too many years working in the industry! Plus I was super close to our build, right from our first sales meeting

excited_builders
Drew01

Wow you know so much on this! We have cable in our area and now we have to get PSTN line as the cable does not have a phone line. The lead in guy called and said he was sick today and will try and come tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed as my Nbn apmt is on Wednesday and I have been told that the pstn line has to go first and then the cable can go through in the same conduit.....so fine the dates are since the lead is was delayed from 11th Feb till last Friday! Shocking!

Still not sure why you need PSTN line... if you are going to use cable for your DSL before NBN arrives you can subscribed to VoIP. So when NBN comes , you basically have nothing to do.

Unless the telco you go with doesn't have DSL only plans.

But then you said NBN appointment? So if you are getting NBN why do you still need PSTN line?
MyFirst
excited_builders
Drew01

Still not sure why you need PSTN line... if you are going to use cable for your DSL before NBN arrives you can subscribed to VoIP. So when NBN comes , you basically have nothing to do.

Unless the telco you go with doesn't have DSL only plans.

But then you said NBN appointment? So if you are getting NBN why do you still need PSTN line?
The infrastructure is already owned by Nbn so an Nbn tech is required to do the cabling from the pit to my house boundary. It is not Telstra anymore.
I'm getting telstra cable plan with phone calls....those phone calls are on PSTN as they cant br on the cable I have been told. I dont know anything about this.

Ok cheers, One thing for sure the setup you are getting now basically will make your NBN cutover painless in future. And you also get your NBN HFC underground.

Surprised your area of GW hasn't got NBN yet though.
In our area the Telstra trucks have had their signage removed so that passer-by don't know it's them still working on infrastructure! They only way you suss it's Telstra is that the corporate name is still emblazoned up along the crew's ladders!
If the NBN rollout isn't in your area, the infrastructure is still owned by Telstra.

Optus cable isn't in scope of NBN co, as it's more badly maintained than the Telstra cable

Drew01
If the NBN rollout isn't in your area, the infrastructure is still owned by Telstra.

Optus cable isn't in scope of NBN co, as it's more badly maintained than the Telstra cable

Optus managed to pawn it to the govt/nbn for a nice few hundred millions...
MyFirst
Drew01

Optus managed to pawn it to the govt/nbn for a nice few hundred millions...
To not use it... What a joke

Been a few busy weeks at our place.

Our solar was installed 3 weeks ago (10.2 kW, and has already generated 8% of the energy our last one did in the 8 years we had the house!

Our footpath, crossover, curb and channel have all been replaced by South East Paving, who did an awesome job for an even better price!

I spent last weekend putting in steel posts for our second retaining wall, which came up a treat!

And had its concrete infill poured today by South East Paving, so our driveway into the garage can finally be laid in a couple of weeks

And ABC Driveways have the preparation work for our asphalt driveways well underway.

We're having fill brick edging using concrete commons in an oatmeal colour which will match our mortar, and provide a nice contrast barrier between the asphalt and the house

Drew01

Our solar was installed 3 weeks ago (10.2 kW, and has already generated 8% of the energy our last one did in the 8 years we had the house!

Our footpath, crossover, curb and channel have all been replaced by South East Paving, who did an awesome job for an even better price!

I spent last weekend putting in steel posts for our second retaining wall, which came up a treat!

And had its concrete infill poured today by South East Paving, so our driveway into the garage can finally be laid in a couple of weeks

And ABC Driveways have the preparation work for our asphalt driveways well underway.

We're having fill brick edging using concrete commons in an oatmeal colour which will match our mortar, and provide a nice contrast barrier between the asphalt and the house

Good to see your roof is doing fine with so many solar panels on it.

I remember u saying u didn't ask metricon to reinforce your roof or anything like that.
That's right, they told us no need.

The roof trusses can hold tile or tin, and our tin + solar panels is still lighter than tiles

Drew01

Wow you have been busy getting a lot of things organized. We are moving at snails space. It was too hot for the last few days and our concrete person did not come on 1 day so far due to the machinery heating up the day prior due to the weather.

Drew
Are u going to seal your garage flooring?
MyFirst
Drew
Are u going to seal your garage flooring?
It's a good question... At this stage probably not. The concreters spent a lot of time burnishing it, so it's pretty tough, and not sure the spend is worth it...

Related
13/06/2024
What are our rights with our draftsman and the completion of

Building A New House

This is a no brainer. Take them to someone else to get finalised. You can't leave your destiny in the hands of someone who is completely underperforming. I know someone…

8/11/2023
Our house was beautiful until Distinctive Homes destroyed ou

General Discussion

of course there are legal avenues. You've already mentioned it. Sue them. I find it odd that lawyers wouldnt be willing to take on the case, given CCT evidence and…

22/01/2024
Builder connecting our new toilet for his trades

Bathrooms and Laundry

"Losers" "humanity" "off time" "your" "top notch" "love symbol" Sounds like ponzo is done using other people's toilets

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum