Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Our Benham 33 journey

Page 227 of 236
we deleted our flooring and will do it after handover. I just wanted the choice of having what I wanted to put in and it gives me the ability to shop around, rather than select from such a small range.
We also deleted our flooring and going with bamboo flooring after handover. Also note that on top of the extra tiles costs for the larger size, there is also additional laying costs. Which is something I don't understand. I would of thought having larger tiles meant less number of tiles are laid (it is still the same area being covered), so it should be simpler and less work. But apparently, larger tiles involves more cutting so they charge more. I was quoted just as much for labour so if the tiles were $60/m, expect another $60/m for laying costs.

I double check my calculations, and the credit for the standard flooring, plus what I was quoted for 600x600 size tiles to ground floor was going to cover upto 80% of bamboo flooring throughout the house. I would rather pay the 20% extra and have bamboo flooring to both floors then tiles and carpet.
at the avenue
Hi Guys,

We are getting close to starting our build and making internal selections and all that fun stuff (we are building the Huntley 30).

Couple of questions;

- With flooring, did many of you get what you wanted with R's standard range? We have had a quick look at the tile supplier early on but haven't had our appointment yet. We want bigger size tiles (650 or bigger) but we were also considering getting floorboards. For those of you that have floorboards, did you do this through Rawson or organise a credit for the tiles then do it yourself?
Can anyone tell me if any of the larger size tiles are included in the standard range? If not how much did it cost you (total) for larger tiles?

- Rawson_k We are thinking about getting a pool too. most informal 'quotes' we recieve indicate that it'll cost us 30k for any pool upto about 7x4 (excluding landscaping). Is this the kind of pricing you found too?

Thanks

We're doing the pool as a owner-builder, not through a company. But 30k sounds cheap - I assume that just a basic filter and pump with pebble interior and the coping tiles. To get pool a 7x4 or 8x4 complete we found you would struggle to get change from 50k - once you look fence, tiles, cleaner etc. My only advise is check the reviews of the pool company on google, their are some back ones out there - extra chargs etc.
Rawson_K - HAHAHA yes I meant HANDOVER not hangover lol. Dammit autocorrect. Lucky you knew what I meant!

at the avenue - We went to plenty of flooring places before our internals appointment and found the timber flooring we wanted. Rawson didn't have it at the internals meeting but we gave the information to our consultant and she chased up the quote. I think you're crazy if you don't do you research first, find what you want somewhere else, get it quoted and then get Rawson to do the same. You might be surprised. Our timber flooring came in at the same price as doing it afterwards (alot less stress and you won't be liable for damaging your own skirting and walls) and our driveway was the same - the total price was exactly the same as getting my husbands company to do it (and their quote was mates rates!).

Update: PCI is booked in for next tuesday with handover expected next friday. HOORAY! Painter is back today to do the final touch ups and repaint the ceiling and as soon as he's finished the electricians are back to cut back in out down lights and fan lights then we're done. We have our private inspector booked for monday before PCI too.

As for landscaping, our fence is being stained a lovely merbau colour today to match all the timber trims on our house and our garage door. Turf is also going down today too. Hubby and a friend laid some geo grid over the topsoil last night as another way to stop the dogs from digging so hopefully it works! We have also lined under our fence with timber pillars (concrete lined where the tublar fence is). It's all coming together nicely - will look fantastic when it's done
Most of our roof is up!
SheridanBenjamin
Most of our roof is up!

Our roof started to go up last Wednesday... And it's still not finished. Hopefully yours gets finished quicker than ours!

Thanks for the feedback on the flooring. its good to know that removing it and getting a credit is a common option in case we go down this path.

We visited the Tiles Direct (the supplier) over the weekend and found a tile we would actually be really happy with. it's called Infinity Ash and comes in the standard range (apparently)
. we have quotes on floor boards and laminate floor boards which we can consider after our tile appointment anyways.

Rawson_k - yeah the quotes have been for the pool, lighting and pump only, no landscaping, fencing, etc. I was thinking of 'doing it myself' too but my wife is not so confident in my abilities. will have to think further on this one.
We deleted our tiles from the contract. I was not that happy with the tilers that did our bathroom tiles, so I am glad I could choose my own tiler for the main floor tiling

Really disappointed in Rawson at the moment. Our bricks having given me so much grief. I was met back in Feb by the maintenance manager and the SS and I was told that our bricks wold be fixed and one person would come up re-point, clean and re-lay any bricks that were not right and he would stay there until it was done. He came once a couple of weeks ago and re-laid a few bricks and cleaned off the tops of the columns. We were told he would be back to re-point.

He came back Friday and only cleaned the bricks that he had re-laid but nothing else. So much for staying until the job was done - he was there for 1 day and a couple of hours. When I rung to question what was going on I get told that the bricks cannot be improved upon and so nothing is going to be done.

To say I am unhappy is an understatement. I have been told today that that is just what brickies are like today and nothing more so be done. I have also been told that they won't do anything more with the mortar mess that has been left over the alfresco and the porch. The Brickie a couple of weeks ago tried to get it off and couldn't and said it would need a concrete grinder. Rawson have said they won't clean it.

With these issues and seeing I am still waiting for the gyprock go be fixed 6 months after it was reported to Rawson I have had enough and today I have lodged a complaint with department of fair trading. They can rule on everything that needs to be done in the house and they will make sure that they finish it in a timely manner.
Jen1977
Really disappointed in Rawson at the moment...With these issues and seeing I am still waiting for the gyprock go be fixed 6 months after it was reported to Rawson I have had enough and today I have lodged a complaint with department of fair trading. They can rule on everything that needs to be done in the house and they will make sure that they finish it in a timely manner.

Ouch Jen - the rats...
I'm curious to know (off-topic from the flooring thread, sorry folks...) how the builder can be so offhand, when they have a contract with you. It sounds like you weren't able to hold off on the final payment to have some leverage? Am I right in thinking that final payment = keys? We're pre-DA with Rawson so are all ears on these kind of issues at the moment.
Good luck with it - I hope Fair trading can help hold them to account.
KP-HP - Jen didn't notice anything was wrong with that pier until shed been living in the house 8 months and had an independent inspector through.. That would be why it's such a drama now.
PCI was done today. Still a few things to go over at handover as our electricity is off and the house wasn't properly cleaned but all in all, just a few minor fixes and mostly painting which was no surprise as the final paint was still in the process of being completed.

Having said that - handover is this FRIDAY!!!!!!

I'll get some better photos of the house once we have it cleaned up a bit then we'll be moving in and I'll update again once all our lovely furniture is in

We've nearly made it! What a long 19 months!
Woohoo!! Congrats munchi!!!
Good luck moving in and finding places for eveyrthing!!!
Congrats munchi.
Good luck with handover and the move

Thanks guys!

JTM have you had handover yet???
Sure have!! Had it last Thursday.
House is a bomb site at the moment. Will post photos when everything sorted.
Looking forward to seeing the place once you're settled in
. You'll just be winding up as our chaos begins hahaha.

Update: electrical is nearly done. Just the light above the stairs to go which is going in on Friday afternoon after handover. All the downlights are back in on the ceiling that was damaged. Painter is nearly done. He stained the front door again today so it looks like he must be finished inside and he's going to finish off the outside tomorrow.

Landscapers returned today. Weedmat, timber mulch and white stone are all in and most of the plants have been planted. My Japanese maple looks divine so I can't wait for that to be planted tomorrow
. Still waiting on the fence to be stained because of the rain... It's currently preventing us from getting the mailbox and washing line up! Doesn't look like it'll dry up til the weekend either so we might have to wait til early next week to get those in..
Also new photos on the blog.

Pinny - you can kind of see where the Tiber flooring meets the island bench. I'll get a better photo for you on Friday though
Thanks munchi...your place looks amazing.

Question - our construction certificate specifically excludes landscaping / driveway (presumably because we are doing this ourselves. Does this mean we have to apply for a separate construction certificate for this? I need to do a land cut in at the rear of the block. If we wait till after handover there will be no way to get a bobcat in and it'll have to be done by hand.
Mrs BB - our SS said that Rawson organise the interim OC but then once your have finished your yard and driveway you call them back to inspect and you get your final OC. You don't NEED and OC per say, only if you intend to sell the house.
Related
24/01/2024
My granny flat build journey

Owner Builder Forum

Any advice on how to ensure the kit home granny flat that im thinking of buying will get council approval. The kit home companys wont release plans without a deposit and…

8/11/2023
Our house was beautiful until Distinctive Homes destroyed ou

General Discussion

of course there are legal avenues. You've already mentioned it. Sue them. I find it odd that lawyers wouldnt be willing to take on the case, given CCT evidence and…

22/01/2024
Builder connecting our new toilet for his trades

Bathrooms and Laundry

"Losers" "humanity" "off time" "your" "top notch" "love symbol" Sounds like ponzo is done using other people's toilets

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum