Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Our Benham 33 journey

Page 210 of 236
Hmm well another attempt at patching the roof today and it looks just as bad
giving up I think
Hey All,

We have made the move (finally)!

Got our Interim OC from the certifier so we're all good to live here now... woohoo.

After the rain in Sydney earlier this week, and the subsequent heat, we've noticed a few new maintenance problems that need to be fixed.

1. More popped screws from the frame all throughout the house (no cornices to hide these!)
2. A crack in the entry hallway ceiling
3. Dented door frame to one sliding door
4. Poor plasterwork to one of the niches

So I'll be hitting my SS up for these next week (or tomorrow if he answers).

But otherwise, we're really happy! The only problem is we have nowhere to hang our washing at the moment while the landscaping is done, just a single foldable hanger thing.

I have to say though, reading all the maintenance woes in the last few posts, that our SS has done above and beyond to organise getting the items rectified that need to be.
Congrats Koroboo. Glad to hear that ur SS has taken care of your build minimizing maintenence issues.

There hasn't been any activity on our build from last week up until now. We are waiting for the painters to come. We haven't had any delays so far, but its now when we are marching towards handover.
Its almost confirmed now that we will not be in for Christmas.
Glacier: thanks! Did you have to do any work post-handover before you could really move in (like we did 2 months worth!)? Or was Rawson doing everything?
Koroboo, we are getting everything done by Rawsons.

We need to take care of only landscaping and blinds after handover.
Hopefully your handover gets in time for XMAS then!
It would have been good.. but it doesn't look like with the volume of work remaining... painting, main floor tiling, electricals.. These are the main ones. Brickies should come back for a day after PCI too.
Maybe they just couldn't find a stocking big enough to fit a Benham 33?
You are funny Forg.

Correction - to fit a Ben 36!
Another thing I remembered since we're in now...

Many pages ago there was discussion about how bad the default 3 in 1's are for the bathrooms... the suction in our 2 are terrible. I mean, sure, the fan sounds really quiet, but that's because it's barely doing anything! The base lightbulb supplied was pretty shocking too.

We've added downlights in the bathrooms to give more light, but need a better exhaust fan. Thinking about replacing them with IXL 2 light 3 in 1.

Anyone know any other brands I should be looking at?
We had handover yesterday!!! It is the best feeling waking up in your brand new home.

Congrats Koroboo on your handover too.

Glacier, I hope you are in before Christmas. My fingers are crossed for you.
Koroboo
We've added downlights in the bathrooms to give more light, but need a better exhaust fan. Thinking about replacing them with IXL 2 light 3 in 1.

Anyone know any other brands I should be looking at?

I can't offer suggestions; however I didn't think the 4-in-1 IXL-branded fan had a lot of suction.
I think it's acceptable, but our current rental has a 1-in-1 (
) Mistral, just a fan & probably 14" diameter, and it's brilliant compared to the IXL-tastic.
B&K: we had our handover like 2.5 months ago!
Hard to believe it's been that long. But moving in is great, even if there's boxes and boxes everywhere.
Oops, I think I got confused when you said you finally made the move lol
We are on the roll again. A visit to our site and we find that the painters and electricians were on site! It was very exciting to see that. Electricals looks 90% complete. The painters will continue next week also I think. ItS slowly taking the looks of a display home! May be im just a bit exaggerating, but I am loving it...

Photos to be uploaded in my blog soon...
Glacier- Is your SS positive that you won't be in before Xmas? Only reason I ask is that u sound up to where we are, we had painters start @ the end of last wk and were there all this wk. they should be finished next wk, as far as I know the electricians haven't started yet. Our SS has scheduled our PCI inspection for 12/12. It's still cutting it pretty fine but with a bit of luck we will just make it in before Xmas!! Looking forward to seeing your pics.

B&K- Congrats on your handover!! I'm sure it's an amazing moment!! Can't wait to be @ that stage myself!!
For those defending Rawson, all I can say is this. I've never seen such incompetence during an admin process. I could have done better myself as a newbie. I've been in admin for 7 months now and only just in council again now after they **'d up my paperwork and then took 3 weeks to get it back into council. I rang council and Rawson were waiting for no reason whatsoever. Every week they delay costs me $1K due to the area I'm in and the expenses with my block. So for me, choosing Rawson as a builder has cost me a small fortune. I regret my choice on a daily basis and am astounded at their arrogance to my complaints. If council reject this application and we have to start over, I'm off to another builder quicker than you can say jack flash.

To actually be told by a volume builder that they "aren't used to dealing with council" makes me shake my head in disbelief.

I'm sure we're going to love the house if it ever comes to fruition. But its costing us way too much with all the options we've chosen (and nothing flash mind you). Any tiny little thing you ask for costs hundreds or thousands of dollars. Plus with the added expense of holding interest / rent during this admin process has overcapitalised us on our location.

Best not to let me on the forums as I'm now bitter and twisted.
Bailey7278
Glacier- Is your SS positive that you won't be in before Xmas? Only reason I ask is that u sound up to where we are, we had painters start @ the end of last wk and were there all this wk. they should be finished next wk, as far as I know the electricians haven't started yet. Our SS has scheduled our PCI inspection for 12/12. It's still cutting it pretty fine but with a bit of luck we will just make it in before Xmas!! Looking forward to seeing your pics.

Bailey, my SS wouldn't confirm a date! All he told is anything is possible! I understand where he is coming from. We have been waiting for the painters for the last 2 weeks, but it looks like they came towards the end of last week and they did enough so that the electricians could start their work. Im happy with the work carrIed out last week.

From what you told I looks like we are ahead of you, but we dont have a date yet.

I think you will be fine because the handover will be usually after 2 weeks. I think you will be fine.
I have updated photos on my blog.

Mrs Brown bear so sorry to hear abouut your bad experience.
Phwoar, record weekend, we're down to 5 boxes of 'misc' items left, and everything else has been put away!

The house is almost (lol) clutter free.

Here's hoping the rain clears up so the landscapers can get on with it!
Hey Guys,

Just a quick question.

With regards to waterproofing, Is Rawson suppose to waterproof the walls in the shower to a certain height? or just the floor area vicinity?

Thanks,

J
Related
24/01/2024
My granny flat build journey

Owner Builder Forum

Any advice on how to ensure the kit home granny flat that im thinking of buying will get council approval. The kit home companys wont release plans without a deposit and…

8/11/2023
Our house was beautiful until Distinctive Homes destroyed ou

General Discussion

of course there are legal avenues. You've already mentioned it. Sue them. I find it odd that lawyers wouldnt be willing to take on the case, given CCT evidence and…

22/01/2024
Builder connecting our new toilet for his trades

Bathrooms and Laundry

"Losers" "humanity" "off time" "your" "top notch" "love symbol" Sounds like ponzo is done using other people's toilets

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum