Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

House Build: Made all the wrong choices.

Page 3 of 3
Ha ha this whole conversation is over my head. I think we've got wifi lol
Perth_Euro
I know bugger all about all this stuff, but wow.
I had to rewire my engineering teams building and that was only 98 ports, for an operations planning building for a large mine.

Lol...
I am always thinking about future proofing.. Maybe went a tad overboard.
joannek
Ha ha this whole conversation is over my head. I think we've got wifi lol

Wifi is actually pretty good and with the new 11ac it's even faster... If you have a good signal and don't plan on transferring files over the network. At my existing house wifi signal is so bad at some locations it took me 3 mins to buffer a YouTube video.

If you use other tools like synergy (where 1 mouse/keyboard) controls two screens/PC, you will see a massive difference in speed with direct LAN being much faster.
Ponzu
Ongie -so for three gaming consoles that can be used one at a time per tv, using the tv as the switch for those would bottleneck what exactly? Do you see a need for a dedicated port for each console?

The TV ethernet isn't built for dedicated switching purposes, as opposed to a real switch. The proper way to do it is to do what worktime is doing and having an individual port for each device that goes back to the main switch. For the average consumer it's fine as they are none the wiser. For someone who works in IT or is an enthusiast, it makes a world of difference!

Ponzu
Did youas to daisy chaining - its exactly what I have at work poe voip phone and another cable comes from my phone to my laptop for network access. I dont see what is hard to understand about this?

His phones could be 100Mbit phones and the computers would be 1Gbit. That would be silly to piggyback off the phone. Transferring huge files at an absolute max speed of 12mb/s is horrendous.
Ponzu
Ongie -so for three gaming consoles that can be used one at a time per tv, using the tv as the switch for those would bottleneck what exactly? Do you see a need for a dedicated port for each console?.

Do TV's now comes with a network switch? Which brand and model? Can you do firware updates? Do you do the setup using the remote?
My need for a dedicated port for each console is because Im lazy to unplug the cable and put it on which ever console I need.
The more ports you have will mean you wont need additional switches that uses more power and added complexity.
Im with OP here and doing the exact same setup which suits me and my needs, but on a smaller scale. About 20 points.
I don't think anyone's saying a dedicated port per device is a bad idea (it isn't...)

Most complaints here are just stating that 100 ports is excessive. My configuration will operate on a 12 port switch and 4 of those are PoE (2 IP Cameras and 2 wifi extenders)

I wouldn't know what to do with 50 ports let alone 100. I get that you're future-proofing, but they aren't going to start making toasters with Ethernet ports. Kids these days are mostly on a mobile connection (Phone Tablet) so I've reduced each kids bedroom to just one Ethernet port - for a desk with a PC/Laptop (I'm against TV's in bedrooms). Wired phones, including VOIP, are dead technology in residential applications IMO.
Yay, two pairs of BOSE 791 arrived today. Will be going in the living room ceiling. RRP $999 each, but got them 60% off RRP.
As an avid gamer, I'm pretty excited to see your finished theatre set-up.

Ponzu
I dunno. Looks like a fantasy house of a 14 year old.

I don't get it - you're saying it like that's a bad thing! I think it's awesome.
Little p!ssing contest hey boys

Ok most of this is over my head but I have 2 teenage boys with all the gaming consoles and computers, ipads, phones etc - but these input thingies in bedrooms/studies/theatres etc sound like a good idea?? But I have NFI where to start or what would be needed any help would be greatly appreciated
belzey
Little p!ssing contest hey boys

Ok most of this is over my head but I have 2 teenage boys with all the gaming consoles and computers, ipads, phones etc - but these input thingies in bedrooms/studies/theatres etc sound like a good idea?? But I have NFI where to start or what would be needed any help would be greatly appreciated

If they have individual computers and consoles and they are never moved then its best to wire data points in. Basically all these points need to terminate where your router is (don't know how much knowledge you have, but I guess easiest to say where your internet is). Basically removes the need for wireless on those devices. You still need wireless for your phones and tablets.

Also in future when we get some good TV streaming services like Netflix you praise that you have a wired connection as it will typically buffer (load) the movies quicker. The best example I can give that might give you the right idea. Have you ever tried loading a video on YouTube and it stops someway through and needs to wait a bit to load. A wired connection could improve the load speed (there are a few factors that come in play, so remember I'm just trying to help you understand).

Where to start, work out where you want the points. Work out where the router is going to be. If your on ADSL then it will be next to the phone line. And have all those data points end where the router is. If you have quiet a few points then you will need a thing called a switch in addition to the router. But I guess work out what you want then the appropriate advice can be given.

worktime
Yay, two pairs of BOSE 791 arrived today. Will be going in the living room ceiling. RRP $999 each, but got them 60% off RRP.

Nice looking speakers. Why did you go with ceiling speakers? aesthetics?
Your theatre room looks big enough to have normal satelite/book shelf type speakers.
Thanks. The speakers will be placed in the living room ceiling.
Yay, plasterboard done.
Looking good!!! Nice progress.

kitchen island added sept/14
painted oct/14

how it looks with upgraded 2.9m ceilings and 2.7m alfresco doors

upgraded cooktop with upgraded 2cm -> 4cm benchtops

kitchen island with waterfall edging upgraded from 4cm -> 7cm Coco quantum quartz benchtops

crystal gloss cabinets with upgraded cabinet heights

hallway
Looks like an amazing kitchen.
Looking absolutely gorgeous!!
Well my house is now nearly complete but there's still many pending things they haven't finished and many other quality issues.
Your kitchen is lovely
especially the CrystalGloss cabinets, but I'm biased as that's what we have
Related
28/07/2023
My builder made the wrong height door, what should I do next

Building A New House

i imagine you also have another contract with an architect? and yeah, whatever other's said about special conditions and appendices

1/11/2023
New house colour is wrong!!

General Discussion

welcome to learning that colours vary in different lighting conditions.

21/12/2023
Brass or Stainless steel made tap for Kitchen

Bathrooms and Laundry

Brass or 2) Stainless steel made - which Kitchen tap is good for drinking.Brass kitchen taps in Australia contain lead…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum