Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Thomas Archer Bayside Build

Page 18 of 20
hawkas
Fair point

My block is 688 sq/m so should be able to fit a pool and basketball court on it

Just curious how often do you use the swim spa in the colder months?

We were still in the pool and spa in April and May. June onwards its been under cover.
If we need to, can always heat up the spa for the kids to get in after training or games as it;s magnesium.

688 is a decent sized block. Bigger than ours at 650. Try incorporate both is you can? The pool is the focus from September to March, not going to lie but the court is being used almost every day.
Hello, i'm new to this thread/ forum and appreciate this documented journey.
Im considering either evoke or nouveua.
May i ask.
1. What's your site orientation?
2. How did the house perform during melbourne winter/summer in terms of heating/cooling? especially with the void area?
3. How are you finding the kitchen configuration for everyday cooking? Do you think the nouveua kitchen would benefit from a sink in the kitchen island?
Thanks alot
Ok so our block is pretty much east/west with the void to the north. Being Hebel the house did stay pretty cool over summer however we have metal backed motorised blinds in the void that we wouldn't be without. I love the light the void has let in over Winter.
That being said, we are going to tint the three front windows as they face west.
Regarding the island- I'm definitely a minimalist and glad it's plain and simple. We opted for no power either as a collection of appliances/devices makes them look cluttered and unkempt IMHO.
I haven't seen many Evokes so can't really comment. We needed a wider, shorter house rather than longer as we still wanted a generous backyard for the pool, court and alfresco.

Maybe get both drawn up roughly for your block. One will stand out. Good luck 🙂

Dexterhomes
May i ask.
2. How did the house perform during melbourne winter/summer in terms of heating/cooling? especially with the void area?
3. How are you finding the kitchen configuration for everyday cooking? Do you think the nouveua kitchen would benefit from a sink in the kitchen island?
Thanks alot
Thanks alot!! You have the same site orientation as us. Appreciate the reply.

Blacktea2sugars
Ok so our block is pretty much east/west with the void to the north. Being Hebel the house did stay pretty cool over summer however we have metal backed motorised blinds in the void that we wouldn't be without. I love the light the void has let in over Winter.
That being said, we are going to tint the three front windows as they face west.
Regarding the island- I'm definitely a minimalist and glad it's plain and simple. We opted for no power either as a collection of appliances/devices makes them look cluttered and unkempt IMHO.
I haven't seen many Evokes so can't really comment. We needed a wider, shorter house rather than longer as we still wanted a generous backyard for the pool, court and alfresco.

Dexterhomes
May i ask.
Thanks alot
Hi Blacktea

Would you mind telling me the dimensions of your basketball court? Is it the standard 9m x 5m or slightly smaller?

My block is 15m wide and I am deciding how to fit a pool (probably the same Brooklyn Slimline 8.2 m x 3.5m as you have) with a basketball court into my yard.

I feel like the orientation you chose with the basketball court along the back fence in the far left corner and the pool along the right hand fence is a good use of space.

Cheers!
hawkas
Hi Blacktea

Would you mind telling me the dimensions of your basketball court? Is it the standard 9m x 5m or slightly smaller?

My block is 15m wide and I am deciding how to fit a pool (probably the same Brooklyn Slimline 8.2 m x 3.5m as you have) with a basketball court into my yard.

I feel like the orientation you chose with the basketball court along the back fence in the far left corner and the pool along the right hand fence is a good use of space.

Cheers!

Hey hawkas

Apologies for the late reply, been a bit off colour lately.
Yes it's a standard key, plus an extra 600 each side from memory. We went wider rather than deeper, as we didn't want the court on top of the pool.
The Court company was great in helping us config the design. Works really well, we're 1000% happy.
Blacktea2sugars

Dexterhomes
May i ask.
Thanks alot

Hiya!

which motorised blinds did you use? Did you do home automation? or are they on an independent remote?

Thanks!
Blinds are Somfy Sinesse.
Independent remote

AlexAndRachel
Blacktea2sugars

Dexterhomes
May i ask.
Thanks alot

Hiya!

which motorised blinds did you use? Did you do home automation? or are they on an independent remote?

Thanks!
Blacktea2sugars
hawkas
Hi Blacktea

Cheers!

Hey hawkas

Apologies for the late reply, been a bit off colour lately.
Yes it's a standard key, plus an extra 600 each side from memory. We went wider rather than deeper, as we didn't want the court on top of the pool.
The Court company was great in helping us config the design. Works really well, we're 1000% happy.

Awesome thanks for this

Like I said I really like your layout with the orientation of the pool and basketball court and I might copy it.

Hopefully you don't sue me for copyright infringement!

Weather starting to warm up a bit as well so your pool should get some use soon.
Dexterhomes
May i ask.
Thanks alot

We are building the Nouveau. We strongly considered the evoke but when it was sighted it was a few metres longer and didn’t leave enough of a backyard. From memory being a central entry design means the porch added about 3 meters to the overall length.
We are so excited about every feature of the Nouveau plan now that we couldn’t imaging going with any other design.
Ours is North facing which I think is ideal, and no sink or power to the island bench. Dishwasher, sink and bin to be along the butlers window and food prep next to the fridge, should work ok I think.
Was it expensive to add a balcony? It looks so nice to sit there and enjoy the views! I noticed non of the designs have a balcony but wouldn’t mind adding one in
annakoh
Was it expensive to add a balcony? It looks so nice to sit there and enjoy the views! I noticed non of the designs have a balcony but wouldn’t mind adding one in

Hi Anna

It was on our list of "must haves" as we had one in a previous house and used it a bit even though it faced south!

Was a little pricey as all of the reinforcing and drainage comes into play. To us though, cost didn't really matter here and it's used about 300 days of the year. Are you considering tweaking a design to add one in?
Blacktea2sugars
annakoh

Hi Anna

It was on our list of "must haves" as we had one in a previous house and used it a bit even though it faced south!

Was a little pricey as all of the reinforcing and drainage comes into play. To us though, cost didn't really matter here and it's used about 300 days of the year. Are you considering tweaking a design to add one in?

Ahh that makes sense. Love the setup!

Do you mind if I ask roughly how much it cost? We are building a modified Hive, it's something I would love to add into our master bedroom but heard it can be within the vicinity of $40k (from another builder) which is something we didn't budget for. Also we just had our master v1 drawings back so may be tad late.
Anyone know who pay the electricity bill during construction ? TA or customer ?

I know water is definitely paid by customer , but heard the electricity should be paid by builder during construction

Thanks
paid by the builder.

if a pit is not ready at the commencement of the build and they have to hire a generator then they make you pay for the generator hire.
May I ask who you're building with?

We are building with TA and we are currently paying for our electricity.
scott2323

I know water is definitely paid by customer , but heard the electricity should be paid by builder during construction

Thanks

Yes builder pays water and power during construction. You get a set time after handover to get the utilities into your name. 👌
JoeyJoJo

i built with TA, handed over in August.

i'd be questioning why you're paying electricity, unless it's to hire a generator.
sifntdaz
JoeyJoJo

i built with TA, handed over in August.

i'd be questioning why you're paying electricity, unless it's to hire a generator.

Thanks for the reply , I just got the electricity bill (usage + meter installation) and check with TA and been told customer need pay for the electricity / water - not TA

That is why I am confused since I always thought the electricity need be paid by the builder during construction
Blacktea2sugars
scott2323

Thanks

Yes builder pays water and power during construction. You get a set time after handover to get the utilities into your name. 👌

Thanks for the reply , I just got the electricity bill (usage + meter installation) and check with TA and been told customer need pay for the electricity / water - not TA

That is why I am confused since I always thought the electricity/water need be paid by the builder during construction
Related
21/02/2024
Fixed Price build Contract Vs Project management build

Building A New House

Thank you so much everyone. This all makes a lot of sense. I guess when you talk to a builder who butters up everything to look very polished, you get to start believing…

10/06/2023
Pathway to new build : WWYD

Home Finance

A person needs to be licensed to offer financial advice. Surely the accountant you use would have been chosen for his/her expertise in this field. Have you asked your…

20/07/2023
Building Site Access - Victoria - New Build

General Discussion

For reference, this is the Austlii reference. My take on this is, that they would be breaking the law denying access to a homeowner in Victoria, or their agent from having…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum