Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Thomas Archer Bayside Build

Page 15 of 20
Correct.
Box gutters to "flat" and low pitch roof sections ground floor. Traditional channel gutters to second storey.

We had not one plant in our block. This meant we could steer away from the gutter blocking leaf shedding types. We had a gutter guard at our old 2 storey house. Was ok.

rockedout
sifntdaz
To all those building with TA, have you given any thought to whether you're going to do anything on your gutters? I think TA's style utilises box gutters and low pitched roofs, so wondering if anyone has researched the use of gutter guards or a similar product and can recommend anything?

thanks

I think they tend to be box gutters on the ground floor and normal/external (maybe some box gutter depending on facade) on first floor. Also ground floor roof pitch is generally flat, but first floor is around 18 degree pitch, once again what you have may depend on facade.

You can ask TA to do external gutters if you're happy with the look.

In our original design we asked for all the box gutters to be replaced with external gutters (to avoid maintenance/flooding risks of box gutters) which TA were able to do. They were able to locate all the gutters/drainpipes along the side of the house on the ground floor so it barely changed the look of the facade. We've since changed our design and facade so not sure yet if it's 100% possible with our new design/facade yet.

As for gutter guards, I've also thought about this but not researched. Seems like a good idea... Something I'm putting off until later once we're not broke from building the house anymore
sifntdaz
To all those building with TA, have you given any thought to whether you're going to do anything on your gutters? I think TA's style utilises box gutters and low pitched roofs, so wondering if anyone has researched the use of gutter guards or a similar product and can recommend anything?

thanks

I have asked TA about the gutter guards thing (as well as price) , will update once I got the answer
I've noticed you've put some beautiful pendants in. Did you engage an electrician to install these post handover? May I ask if they charge per light fitting or by the hour? Who knew feature lighting could cost a bomb!
Oh and did you have to tweak the electrical plan later in the process to match your selected fittings at all? eg. in the electrical plan i have allowed for a single hanging pendant over the dining table but may select a pendant style that needs two hanging points from the ceiling (if that makes sense 🙃). We're yet to sign the contract (so can still tweak electrical plan) but it feels so early to have to settle on exact feature lighting styles for the whole house.
Thanks for this thread, been thinking about engaging with TA and this is really helpful!! Any recent pics of your backyard?

also just wondering who you went with for pool and basketball installation?
Updates-

Paving/tiling/copers continuing out the back. Spa was a toasty 36° today.

3 month warranty inspection yesterday. Very thorough. Mainly painting touch ups. A forgotten doorstop or two. First trade on site to start rectifications tomorrow!

That.. looks ... amazing! Been looking at the pool spa combos how do you find the running cost? Where did you get it from?

Melchich
That.. looks ... amazing! Been looking at the pool spa combos how do you find the running cost? Where did you get it from?

Thankyou!
Will know more after next round of bills but as spa is only connected gas atm- gas bill paid today was $51.

Its by Barrier Reef pools. I love it and am glad we went for a pool and spa magnesium pool. Hope one will fit on your block! There is a shorter 7.2 m version.
Great! Thank you we are looking at the combos but have been getting quotes for the ones which have a spillway but this looks soo much better!

Will look into them right away

mrjl
Thanks for this thread, been thinking about engaging with TA and this is really helpful!! Any recent pics of your backyard?

Just posted recently pics of pool and paving. Ill get some of the court today or tomorrow.
Pool is a Barrier Reef fibreglass pool. It was called a Brooklyn slimline 8.2 but think its had a name change? Our installer was terrible and I will not recommend (but varies with location so hopefully you avoid mine)
DreamCourts court and Hoop- Chris was ah-mazing.
Blacktea2sugars
Updates-

Paving/tiling/copers continuing out the back. Spa was a toasty 36° today.

3 month warranty inspection yesterday. Very thorough. Mainly painting touch ups. A forgotten doorstop or two. First trade on site to start rectifications tomorrow!

Landscaping looks Great !

may I know how much is the basketball court cost ?

Thx
scott2323
Blacktea2sugars
Leeota
🤩 can’t wait to see more! X

hi Blacktea , May I ask what is the color on your staircase stringer ? is it paint or stain ?

I think I missed replying!
Paint in Dulux Domino.
Handrail was supposed to be too but they forgot!
mrjl

Basketball Court for those that wanted an updated pic.

DreamCourts. Speak to Chris Cadden- amazing. Has a solution for everything. All up inc concrete- around $14-$16 K.

Blacktea2sugars
mrjl

Basketball Court for those that wanted an updated pic.

DreamCourts. Speak to Chris Cadden- amazing. Has a solution for everything. All up inc concrete- around $14-$16 K.

Looking fabulous!
BigDaddy
Blacktea2sugars
mrjl

also just wondering who you went with for pool

Looking fabulous!

Thank you.

You must be done now, or very close to it?
Was thinking only last night...I hope this lockdown doesn't affect people getting keys/moving in!
Wow your backyard is looking great!

Was going through some of your pics and noticed I couldn't see any powerpoints in your ensuite, did you have some installed in the vanity drawers or something, if so how do you find it, not inconvenient or anything? Or am I just blind
rockedout
Wow your backyard is looking great!

Was going through some of your pics and noticed I couldn't see any powerpoints in your ensuite, did you have some installed in the vanity drawers or something, if so how do you find it, not inconvenient or anything? Or am I just blind

Good pick up.

I detest power points in wet areas so they are all concealed!
Behind the mirrored cabinets.
100% worth it!
What a beautiful home! You have very similar taste to us

We have just purchased land and are beginning the daunting journey of designing a home.
Just curious if you don't mind us asking...
Excluding landscaping, pool, driveway etc. Can you recall the rough build cost?
JS87

We have just purchased land and are beginning the daunting journey of designing a home.

Thank you and Congratulations!
Your journey is just beginning!

Cost had 7 st the front.
Not where we were aiming but better than where we thought it might get to- just.

Still a heap of things to do (fireplace was provisioned etc).

Cant wait to see your build story!
Blacktea2sugars
JS87

Thank you and Congratulations!
Your journey is just beginning!

Cost had 7 st the front.
Not where we were aiming but better than where we thought it might get to- just.

Still a heap of things to do (fireplace was provisioned etc).

Cant wait to see your build story!

The cost doesn't seem unreasonable considering your level of finish as well as the issues you had with your site.
I love the basketball court by the way!
Related
21/02/2024
Fixed Price build Contract Vs Project management build

Building A New House

Thank you so much everyone. This all makes a lot of sense. I guess when you talk to a builder who butters up everything to look very polished, you get to start believing…

10/06/2023
Pathway to new build : WWYD

Home Finance

A person needs to be licensed to offer financial advice. Surely the accountant you use would have been chosen for his/her expertise in this field. Have you asked your…

20/07/2023
Building Site Access - Victoria - New Build

General Discussion

For reference, this is the Austlii reference. My take on this is, that they would be breaking the law denying access to a homeowner in Victoria, or their agent from having…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum