Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Vic - Building in Fire Zone Areas, extra costs and info

Page 2 of 2
Thanks Nutta - better get this checked out either way
I think the argument is how far the embers can travel, not how close or far you are from water. I'm 3 houses away from the cut-off line, and have been re-classified to BAL 12.5...
Sorry theanonyuser my point was I will have water on one side of my house and the other is an established residential area already classified as non-fire prone. So unless water is a fire hazard the zoning is rubbish.
With my builder saying that I dont require the fire protection due to when I signed contract, if it comes up at council approval that I do need it surely the builder has to compensate somehow? Our bank finance is unconditional for current contract, not with fire protection.
I think that there are too many changes (too quicklya) to the rules. Makes it very hard for people to catch up.
cheers
Brixnmortar. the issue is really about the degree of development of the design at the time of the introduction of the legislation. Things keep changing all the time, and it is hard to catch up. cheers
Good afternoon all, I own a a quarter acre block of land (South East of Melbourne) which neighbours Crown Land (managed by Parks Victoria). My land, although kept in a Fire Ready State (as required by my local Council) has been given a 'Flame Zone' BAL Rating because of the extreme surface, extreme near surface and high elevated fuel loads on the Crown Land.

Accordingly, I have been advised by a builder that I will never be issued a Building Permit because the CFA will not 'sign off' on any dwelling constructed in a Flame Zone thus rendering my block of land totally worthless. I have been advised by Parks Victoria that if I carry out any Fire Ready works along the boundary between my land and the Park I will be heavily prosecuted.

Is there anybody out there in the same boat as me? Any information would be wonderful.
http://www.dpcd.vic.gov.au/planning/pla ... protection has a little information. But as per your other post the CFA is the best contact for this.

There are standards for building in the flame zone, so hopefully you will be allowed to build
There are firms that do BAL Assessments, but I don't know if part of their service provides for actual advice in dealing with FZ situations.
Be aware though of fees. I tried 6, only 2 actually bothered to quote. 1 was reasonable at $1,500, and did a thorough job. The other quote was $4,500. This was in 2011. When I phone another firm, I got an estimate of $6,000.

Start by googling " bushfire attack level assessment report victoria "

The bal.net.au site may be a start.

P M if you want details on the guy I used, as he does not advertise.

T
Hi All. anyone having any problems with BMO should know about Kate Cotter. PM me if you dont because she is great value in my eyes. cheers
Related
10/05/2024
BAL 29 fire zone construction

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

Hi everyone Planning a large house extension in New South Wales northern rivers with a BAL 29 Fire zoning. Has anyone had experience with this type of zoning and how much…

21/05/2024
Building a flame zone house in West Pymble on a steep site

Building A New House

Hi Everyone, One of my favourite parts of a build is when the temporary fence comes down and the home begins to reveal itself. It also means we are on the home straight…

3/12/2023
Flood zone block - 1 in 100year

General Discussion

Yes it had a house on it. But Melbourne water only wanted something the original size of the existing house. We managed to fit a 45sq house on.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum