Join Login
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!

Granny flat Blacktown council (private open space) ?

Page 1 of 1
Hi Guys,

We are planning on building an attached granny flat to our current house (550 Sqm). We went to Blacktown council and they said we needed 80 square meters of private open space for our secondary dwelling and 100 square meters of private open space for primary residence. I thought for a granny flat it was only 24 square meters?

The Affordable housing documentation states 24 square meters of private open space (https://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/#/vi ... 9/364/sch1)

Blacktown city council DCP says 80 square meters of private open space (https://www.blacktown.nsw.gov.au/files/ ... -areas.pdf)

Is it because we are trying to build an attached granny flat that council thinks of it as a dual occupancy/duplex ? (Even though we do not want subdivision/seperate ownership status)

Your help is much appreciated!
I am having the same problem with a small development
and can't be bothered fighting it at the WA state administrative tribunal (SAT)
I don't have the time and money to waste.. take what's on offer
Move quick i'm seeing new regulations limiting airBNB coming into effect
goodluck
Related
26/12/2023
Granny Flat + Studio

Building A New House

I would suggest you simply go and talk to council about your proposal, most councils are getting onboard with ancillary dwellings. There is no benefit in keeping it…

31/12/2023
Backyard retreat or Granny Flat?

Renovation + Home Improvement

I think I know the answer but just checking to see if anyone has had experience with it. I want to build a small 20 square metre retreat in my backyard, it will have a…

24/01/2024
My granny flat build journey

Owner Builder Forum

Any advice on how to ensure the kit home granny flat that im thinking of buying will get council approval. The kit home companys wont release plans without a deposit and…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!
Home
Pros
Forum