Join Login
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!

Patio slab same as house?

Page 1 of 2
G'day everyone,
The plans for our slab show that the back patio and path are the same slab as our house. After reading much about slab insulation including edge insulation i am concerned it might make our house uncomfortable. I've included our plans and if anyone is able to give some advice we'd really appreciate the help.
The back patio and path is above the 'S2' dropdown at the top of the image.

anonamoose
Welcome to the forum, that looks like a nice deign and is a standard waffle slab, Cheap and potentially nasty, void former's are used to improve slab stiffness, thermal beaks will need to be engineered, Talk to an engineer about alternate details, but I suspect your builder won't be interested.
BTW I would recommend you increase slab thickness, for tiled areas. hth
Thanks so much for replying StructuralBIMGuy, I've spoken to the local engineer who created the design and they have no experience with thermal breaks etc. for residential work. The builder is actually a relative although you are spot on with the interest level
I've searched online for an alternate engineer although it's not clear to me what I'm looking for, is this a standard skillset?
It's not something that structural engineers would look at as architects generally champion insulation, thermal breaks, the built environment,etc
here's the problem in a nut shell

Even tho I have the software and knowledge there are other more pressing problems to focus on.
hth
Thank you for your help StructuralBIMGuy, I guess we will go with whats been engineered. Maybe in 15 years or so when we build again things might be better.
Will reply to this with our experience once we have lived in our new house a while. Might be of interest/help for someone.

Thanks again StructuralBIMGuy!
You can trust your engineers to give you the best,most cost efficient solution, and if things ever change.."they will be all over it...."
You might want to read this VBA is nothing more than a giant failure and there are many on this forum that would agree with this article
Goodluck
For thermal break in your scenario you would need to introduce thicker "double" edge beams around the edge of the internal slab (one edge beam will be holding the internal slab and another one - external) and place XPS/EPS insulation boards between them. Those beams will be located exactly where your currently have your articulation break.
alexp79
For thermal break in your scenario you would need to introduce thicker "double" edge beams around the edge of the internal slab (one edge beam will be holding the internal slab and another one - external) and place XPS/EPS insulation boards between them. Those beams will be located exactly where your currently have your articulation break.

And you have created a hinge joint , which is subject to movement/Rotation ?
StructuralBIMGuy
alexp79

And you have created a hinge joint , which is subject to movement/Rotation ?

... and I have created two independent/isolated slabs. How come movement/rotation properties will be different from the current implementation?
That is a continuous Pod/Slab the 1c step downs are clearly hatched.hth
This is why if he wants to properly thermal break it, he would need to design and build two independent slabs instead of a continuous one, with the layer of edge insulation in between them.
Care to share the details ,Calculations/Simulations?
I have similar set up for rafted slab with piers, so it is a little bit different story.
But from what I see, the extra cost will be cost for two extra edge beams along the patio perimeter (concrete and reo mostly).
You have the 2 drop beams separated by insulation & Tied Together? How do you propose to transfers Bending Moments & Stresses?
StructuralBIMGuy
You have the 2 drop beams separated by insulation & Tied Together? How do you propose to transfers Bending Moments & Stresses?

I have a piered slab and piers are not tied together but are on the same footing and reinforced.
To be specific:

Thanks for the details, You have a reinforced concrete Wall Tied into the footings
Anonamoose unreinforced Brick walls on those footings will be subject to movement, rotation, tensile stresses and cracking
and require Bond beams and reinforcement.your cracking will be hidden under the insulating material,,ingress of moisture will be an issue since you don't have a cavity
Is he having any bricks at all (other than veneer)? I believe he is talking about timber framed house here.
i suggest you get a copy of AS3700 masonry codes hth
Hi Everyone, welcome to the conversation alexp79,
Interesting conversations! Yes we have plain brick veneer with timber frame. I've discussed the dual slab idea with our builder and he estimates $10k plus engineering for the dual slab idea, does this sound accurate? I am concerned about movement of two relatively independent slabs although other alternatives such as paving may move as well. I never though it would be this hard

Thanks for your help StructuralBIMGuy and alexp79, we really appreciate you guys taking the time to reply.
Related
3/07/2023
Cause of damp along slab and patio tiles

General Discussion

Firstly the ableflex that has been installed needs (manufactures specification) a sealant cap over the top, preventing water draining down between the slab and the…

8/11/2023
Extending already approved patio

Renovation + Home Improvement

If your patio is going to be 35 sqm then that's going to need Council Approval. The fact that they previously approved your 25sqm patio will be irelevant

16/02/2024
Fixing gutter capacity issue around patio

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

This is a very challenging situation, made much harder by not being on site. Firstly, I think that I originally…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!
Home
Pros
Forum