Join Login
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!

[Urgent] Advise please - Weep hole

Page 1 of 2
Hi guys, I'm seeking advise please regarding weep holes around the house.
I understand that they are there for ventilation and drainage purpose and should not be blocked/covered up.

With that said I was planning to install our landscape (natural turf) in line with the existing paving to our alfresco, which seems like the nature thing to to.
But if we do that, we will be covering the weep holes completely.

Unless the builder expects us to install the landscape at a step lower than the paving but that would be leave the unsightly concrete perimeter around the existing pavers AND will become a tripping hazard, so it does not make sense to do so.

I have raised this with the builder and their response is "Weep holes are positioned at -1c as per all our xxx Homes". Not revealing the builders name here, out of consideration.
But this does not address my concern.

Can someone please advise?

At our home:

My friend's home in comparison whereby grass lines up with pavers but still exposing weepholes:

Mpang

This thread belongs in Building Standards; Getting It Right!.

Have they concreted over the weep holes?

Your friend's home is not compliant and there are signs of efflorescence.

The BCA Part 2 states:

"The height of a DPC, or flashing serving as a DPC, (see Figure 3.3.4.1), must be not less than—
(i) 150 mm above the adjacent ground level; or
(ii) 75 mm above the finished surface level of adjacent paved, concreted or
landscaped areas that slope away from the wall (see Figure 3.3.4.1); or

Explanatory information:
150 mm clearance between the DPC and adjacent ground level reduces the risk of the effectiveness of the DPC being affected by changes in the surface level. Where changes in surface level are less likely to occur, such as where the adjacent surface is finished with paving, concreting or landscaping, the height of the DPC above that surface may be reduced to 75 mm. When also protected from the weather by a carport, verandah or the like the height of the DPC may be reduced to 50 mm."
My SS advised our builder has them installed slightly higher up for the very reason that they aren't covered by paths/paving/gardens.
Hi there, sorry that I'm on the wrong place.

I am not sure as I did not check, the paving is where the alfresco is. The builders covered the paving to our alfresco.
I read online that the weepholes under deck can be covered?

Am I really left with no choice but to choose one or the other?
1) Lay the grass in line with the existing paving to our alfresco, covering the weep holes completely.
2) Lay the grass at a step lower than the paving but that would be leave the unsightly concrete perimeter around the existing pavers AND will become a tripping hazard.

Or can I get the builder to fix something?
Wellard2ndTimers
My SS advised our builder has them installed slightly higher up for the very reason that they aren't covered by paths/paving/gardens.

This is our first time building and first time hearing about weepholes unfortunately
Thats totally different to ours. Our downpipes gomdirectly to storm water or maybe its differe t in different states.

Mpang
I am not sure as I did not check, the paving is where the alfresco is. The builders covered the paving to our alfresco.
I read online that the weepholes under deck can be covered?

They do some strange things in WA (as well as other States) but compliance is compliance.

"When also protected from the weather by a carport, verandah or the like the height of the DPC may be reduced to 50 mm."

The DPC is under the weep holes.

There are many threads that discuss weep holes, have you done a forum search? I just did a quick search using the words "weep holes covered" and found the WA based thread below which has some 'surprising' comments. It is worth a read.

viewtopic.php?p=1339838#p1339838
It's quite silly I find. Why did they not take it into consideration when they as builders know that the weep holes are there to serve a purpose. So whats the point if they get covered up eventually. Just don't know my rights now or perhaps have no choice but to accept it like everyone else and risk infestation or water collection...
Mpang
I understand that they are there for ventilation and drainage purpose and should not be blocked/covered up.

With that said I was planning to install our landscape (natural turf) in line with the existing paving to our alfresco, which seems like the nature thing to to.

Unless the builder expects us to install the landscape at a step lower than the paving but that would be leave the unsightly concrete perimeter around the existing pavers AND will become a tripping hazard, so it does not make sense to do so.

I have raised this with the builder and their response is "Weep holes are positioned at -1c as per all our xxx Homes". Not revealing the builders name here, out of consideration.

At our home:

My friend's home in comparison whereby grass lines up with pavers but still exposing weepholes:

It appears to me that the alfresco concrete slab may be placed incorrectly and not below weep holes. I would not cover up the existing weepholes and would investigate further the weepholes that may have been covered by the alfresco concrete floor.
goody59
Mpang

At our home:

It appears to me that the alfresco concrete slab may be placed incorrectly and not below weep holes. I would not cover up the existing weepholes and would investigate further the weepholes that may have been covered by the alfresco concrete floor.

Yeah actually that's a good point I'll have a look tomorrow but am pretty sure the weep holes are in line throughout the house. Meaning there will be ones covered where the alfresco sits. Unfortunately tomorrow is also the date of our final inspection and key hand over. They have just been brushing this issue aside by saying the weep holes are correctly position which does not address the issue. And perhaps the paving are well above where they should sit - maybe the subcontractors should have dug deeper before laying. Really doubtful what they can or will do for us after handing the keys overs!
Surely if water is to drain out of the weep holes that can still happen when covered with grass or soil or pavers since they're all permeable?
ZoePerth
Surely if water is to drain out of the weep holes that can still happen when covered with grass or soil or pavers since they're all permeable?

Sure, this means it can also drain into the weep hole....think.
Right but is it an issue to occasionally have a half inch of water sat in the cavity? I'm not being awkward I'm genuinely asking. It's how I've seen lots of builds in WA.
ZoePerth

I was under the impression that the weep holes were actually a breather for your cavity. If they have dirt up against them then its not going to breath (tryout).
We are in NSW and in a 12month old house
I just went outside and looked at the damp coarse, it is one coarse higher than the finished slab in both the alfresco and garage. The weep holes are above in the next course.
I think your bricky has made a mistake.
Not just for drainage but also for ventilation. If it's still revealed halfway after landscape I'm still not bothered. But to be fully covered (especially with paving we're talking compacted groundwork) then I'm not so sure... again if the weep holes are positioned properly perhaps the paver inge were set too high? On the way to inspection now so will see what their response is....
... again if the weep holes are positioned properly perhaps the paving height was set too high?

That is surely the case from photo viewed in my opinion.
ZoePerth
Right but is it an issue to occasionally have a half inch of water sat in the cavity? I'm not being awkward I'm genuinely asking. It's how I've seen lots of builds in WA.

It's a house, not a bath. covered weep hole are not compliant. Landscaping half way up weep holes or not far enough below is non compliant.
ZoePerth

Seriously?

Regulations (compliance) are formulated for different reasons and purposes. The matter of non compliance breaching the termite barrier is just one other reason for the weep hole mandated height compliance.

ZoePerth

Too many cowboys.
Jeez apologies for having an incorrect thought guys! 😲
Related
13/06/2023
Weep holes neighbours

General Discussion

it depends on the natural ground level, if they excavated their boundary wall needed to be built as a retaining wall. If you filled, which sounds like the case then you…

27/07/2023
Weep holes required?

General Discussion

I know foam has been around since the 90's and CSR started manufacturing Hebel in 1989, so it's definitely possible

30/03/2024
Concrete apron and weep holes

General Discussion

You are correct. Just read through all the ncc rules and 75mm is the minimum requirement for me.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!
Home
Pros
Forum