Join Login
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!

Ceiling heights - what to do?

Page 1 of 1
Finalizing our plans for a double story home being built by Format Homes. We have provisionally planned 2.7m ceilings on the gf and then lowered this to 2.4 on the ff. friends did this and we were generally quite impressed with the look of their place.
I accept the higher ceiling may look more impressive but also cost more to heat in winter.
A developer friend has expressed outrage (very strong opinion!) at the 2.4m ff and suggested it is a real mistake to do this.
I'm after opinion from all on (whether building single story or double) what people might favour and if we are better to spend that bit more in this regard. Obviously this is not something we can change at a later date....
What would you do.....
Cheers

Although I wouldn't argue that 2.7m ceilings do look better I have built both times with 2.4m and been quite happy with the result.
You could go either a 2550 to save money or use 55mm cornice with a 2400 ceiling. It gives the optical illusion of a higher ceiling over the normal 90mm cornice.

I did 2550 ceilings with 55mm cornice and people think it's 2700 ceiling
I wouldn't build with less than 2.7m.

You could always renovate bathrooms/kitchens later on but you can never increase the height of your ceilings.

Having 2.7m downstairs will only accentuate how low 2.4m is upstairs.
Well because of a planning boo boo the front portion of my house is 31c (2,657mm) which is the guest bedroom. The laundry and ensuite for the guest bedroom is at 28c (2,400mm) then I have a split level where the ceiling becomes 38c (3,257mm) with a 3c bulkhead.

Upstairs I went 32c (2,743mm) through out with a vaulted ceiling in the master bedroom.

I think I would opt for higher ceilings. I have always lived in houses with high ceilings and even family members who have built all opted for higher ceilings. Save somewhere else as JB says, you can reno a bathroom but kinda difficult to raise ceilings.

cheers
Mark
Go the higher ceilings if the budget stretches that far. It will not only look better from the inside but give a few extra brick courses above the windows so that your windows wont finish on your eaves. Personal opinion though
Mjw3683
Finalizing our plans for a double story home being built by Format Homes. We have provisionally planned 2.7m ceilings on the gf and then lowered this to 2.4 on the ff. friends did this and we were generally quite impressed with the look of their place.
I accept the higher ceiling may look more impressive but also cost more to heat in winter.
A developer friend has expressed outrage (very strong opinion!) at the 2.4m ff and suggested it is a real mistake to do this.
I'm after opinion from all on (whether building single story or double) what people might favour and if we are better to spend that bit more in this regard. Obviously this is not something we can change at a later date....
What would you do.....
Cheers

2.7 all around.. 2.4 is too low I think. We have 2.7 all around and the living and kitchen is raked 3.5 to 2.7.
Go the higher ceilings if you want to install ceiling fans. I'm around 6' tall and don't noticed 2400 ceilings until there is a fan running seemingly mm from my scalp. I could very easily put a hand up and start the fan spinning before switching it on to save energy though
(they use most power while spinning up to speed).

I'm glad our new place has 2700 ceilings throughout. It is much more spacious.
Thanks all - some great replies. I think I'm leaning towards the 2.7 all around. As has been said, this is a fairly(!) serious consideration that can't be changed at a later stage.

where are you building?
hot climate high ceilings more south not so evident rather upgrade for looks
If I had the money I'll do 3000 for all my ceilings

Related
26/10/2023
Queensland ceiling heights - help!

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

We bought a house in 2015 advertised as a 7/2/2, 4br up, 3br down (7br), and to date, it’s a great house. However, we’ve just had it valued and it’s come in as a…

8/05/2024
Builder wants to build new ceiling over defective ceiling

Building A New House

Thank you @ashington Homes for your reply! They just got back to me and offered credit for me to just take it as is. It was a less than quotes I got from ceiling…

17/06/2023
How to remove ceiling air con vent?

General Discussion

How do you remove one of these ceiling air con vents? And is it possible to disconnect the duct joined to the vent from inside the house, without going into the roof cavity?

You are here
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!
Home
Pros
Forum