Join Login
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!

Piers\Footing poured at same time as slab?

Page 1 of 2
In our plans we are supposed to have 15 piers and if I read the plans right these have to be 350mm wide and 2.5m deep. I'm also assuming we would have concrete channel\beam along some of the perimeter as well. Depth and width unknown. Originally our site supervisor had advised that piers\footings would be poured on Monday 24th Aug. He went on annual leave on Monday and after no works on site I called his temporary replacement to ask why no work was completed.

He advised that the concreter was on another job and decided he would pour the piers\footings at the same time as the slab. Is this normal as I would have thought they would need curing time prior to slab pour.

Another question would also be how could the box they slab, have the polystyrene in place for our waffle slab and have the rio in place while digging the piers, I would have thought this not to be possible. We are in SE QLD as a point of interest for building codes

Thanks
Please check your engineering plans and geotech report.
Gunna
In our plans we are supposed to have 15 piers and if I read the plans right these have to be 350mm wide and 2.5m deep. I'm also assuming we would have concrete channel\beam along some of the perimeter as well. Depth and width unknown. Originally our site supervisor had advised that piers\footings would be poured on Monday 24th Aug. He went on annual leave on Monday and after no works on site I called his temporary replacement to ask why no work was completed.

He advised that the concreter was on another job and decided he would pour the piers\footings at the same time as the slab. Is this normal as I would have thought they would need curing time prior to slab pour.

Another question would also be how could the box they slab, have the polystyrene in place for our waffle slab and have the rio in place while digging the piers, I would have thought this not to be possible. We are in SE QLD as a point of interest for building codes

Thanks

That sounds impossible to me. I had a slab done a week ago, waffle pod slab on H2 site. 15 large bored piers were done about a week before the slab and filled with concrete and a week later the waterproof membrane was placed down over the slab site and over the piers and it was sealed up against pipe penetrations. Then the voids were put in place with the steel after that and the form work for the slab including the set downs for porch and Alfresco before the slab was poured. I can't see how the bored piers could be poured at same time as the slab is poured myself but there may be a way. I just can't picture it myself. My bored piers of concrete were done even before the drains were put in place.
goody59
Gunna

Thanks

That sounds impossible to me. I had a slab done a week ago, waffle pod slab on H2 site. 15 large bored piers were done about a week before the slab and filled with concrete and a week later the waterproof membrane was placed down over the slab site and over the piers and it was sealed up against pipe penetrations. Then the voids were put in place with the steel after that and the form work for the slab including the set downs for porch and Alfresco before the slab was poured. I can't see how the bored piers could be poured at same time as the slab is poured myself but there may be a way. I just can't picture it myself. My bored piers of concrete were done even before the drains were put in place.

I agree with this statement, can't be done.The slab formwork and plastic membrane reo etc can't be placed until all the piers are in.
Usually will require a inspection by the engineer of the pier excavation before they are poured anyway.
My best guess is they meant they will bore the piers and pour them on the same day.
Well I visited site. The boxing is done, waffle pods in place and the rio has been tied.

Checking the perimeter and the holes for the piers are in place, so they have been dug at least and must of been done this morning as they were not there yesterday afternoon.
Gunna
Well I visited site. The boxing is done, waffle pods in place and the rio has been tied.

Checking the perimeter and the holes for the piers are in place, so they have been dug at least and must of been done this morning as they were not there yesterday afternoon.

So the piers have been poured? Ask if they were inspected and if they were can you see the documentation .
Gunna

So the piers have been poured? Ask if they were inspected and if they were can you see the documentation .
insider
Gunna

Not poured. Just the holes dug. I called our independent inspector and he said it's sometimes done and is normal. I was just nervous as it was due to rain and they were boxing the slab. At the time I checked no pier holes had been dug.

I don't think its normal and how are you going to keep bottoms of pier holes clean whilst working on top. Its a shortcut and I would not try it.
I have seen two pier holes poured with slab but only because they were missed when the rest was done and building inspector allowed it.
But how have they put the plastic membrane down for the slab if the piers haven't been poured yet but the slab has been prepared?
This doesn't make sense, do you have photos ?
So it would seem the bored the holes, laid the black membrane, reo, pods then more reo. They cut circles around the pier holes. Building inspector said they will get holes inspected, pour and then re-inspect. They will then lay some more membrane and then pour the slab. Said there will be some cure time before that last bit of membrane goes on though.
Gunna
So it would seem the bored the holes, laid the black membrane, reo, pods then more reo. They cut circles around the pier holes. Building inspector said they will get holes inspected, pour and then re-inspect. They will then lay some more membrane and then pour the slab. Said there will be some cure time before that last bit of membrane goes on though.

I have never heard of that before.They have to tape the circular plastic membrane over each individual pier hole after it is been poured.
Sometimes you just have to wonder what the hell is going on in this industry.
Option 1 Drill out pier holes, clean out and have them inspected, then back up concrete truck and have them filled with concrete, then proceed to form slab on top, then pour slab(pump concrete in)(I have done it many times)

Option 2 Drill out pier holes, have them inspected and approved then keep them open whilst forming slab on top, (don't forget there will be volume of excavated soil from pier holes how will you prepare level base for slab without some of the dirt falling back in?) then pump concrete into piers, fix membrane and pour slab. Option 2 makes no sense to me( what if it rains overnight and pier holes fill with water and sides collapse?). It's a free country and making wrong choices is perfectly legal.
Option 1 is the correct option in my opinion not sure why anybody would do it another way but I suppose people can try and make the construction more efficient but I don't think this is the way
Was the site pour supervised by Schrodinger's cat perchance?
It's easy to do and very common.
Drill pier holes then cover the entire pad with plastic, mark pier location on plastic with paint so you dont stand on them.
Box up and prep the slab, then when its all done you take a knife and cut the plastic where the piers are. No mess No fuss and no need to think there has been anything untoward done on your slab.
mgilla
Drill pier holes then cover the entire pad with plastic, mark pier location on plastic with paint so you dont stand on them.
Box up and prep the slab, then when its all done you take a knife and cut the plastic where the piers are. No mess No fuss and no need to think there has been anything untoward done on your slab.

Interesting mgilla
Then after you have poured the piers do you put more plastic down and tape it ?
insider
mgilla

Interesting mgilla
Then after you have poured the piers do you put more plastic down and tape it ?

why?
The piers are in contact with the soil and moisture could travel up the pier onto the slab.Defeats the purpose of a moisture barrier but I'm guessing because I haven't seen it done before.
insider
The piers are in contact with the soil and moisture could travel up the pier onto the slab.Defeats the purpose of a moisture barrier but I'm guessing because I haven't seen it done before.

I agree
I am with Structural BIMGuy, check your engineering design and specification and ensure it is followed.
Related
28/02/2024
Leak after Concreter poured concrete

Owner Builder Forum

Hello needing some advice. I was about to build my Alfresco and needed a new slab and remove exisiting slab as its not standard. So they start to excavate and jackhammer…

27/11/2023
Site Cut & Footing Excess Soil Removal

General Discussion

PM me your email. I have a build excavation calculator you can use based on your plans to double check what your builder is telling you. Cheers Simeon

18/01/2024
Soft clay in footing

Landscape & Garden Design

I've dug some footings to embed a post anchor into. My holes are around 450mm deep which I'll put a 200mm stirrup into. The bottom of these holes seem firm enough. …

You are here
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!
Home
Pros
Forum