Join Login
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!

brick wall footings

Page 1 of 1
My landscapers have completed most of the brick walls. However I've asked them to build a 1.8/2 m high fence (it's stepped to follow the slope) to the rear of the yard. I've supplied my engineering drawings but they've poured the footings only about 300 mm wide. The drawings state 400mm wide for the main wall and 1000m wide for the piers. In addition they haven't inserted in the steel poles as per the drawings. They've suggested they can dyna bolt them into the footing they've already poured.

Can their work be successfully remediated so the wall is structurally sound?

I'm also going to ring my engineer this morning.

And another thing. The retaining walls are mass brick retaining walls and the engineering drawings state that all vertical joints should be filled with mortar. I noticed they weren't doing it and mentioned it twice. I got the impression that they felt it was overkill and I can see they still haven't done it in a lot of places. I certainly don't think the walls will fall over but I'm wondering if this might lead to cracking down the track.

Ps. Cross posted on my landscaping thread.
Calling your engineer is good but you also have to alert your building surveyor
As for the rest of it engineering plans must be followed or the works is defective, there is no excuse.
It does not matter what landscapers think if they did not like that job they should not have undertaken it.
Do not pay!
Are your landscapers registered builders? If building work is in Vic have you got HOW insurance?
Related
27/06/2023
Hole on brick veneer wall

General Discussion

can’t tell from the photo, a tie down rod will be 12mm, is it a steel beam? he should be able to work it out

15/11/2023
Internal brick wall vs plasterboard - cost and acoustic?

Building A New House

Thank you alexp79 and gommeqld for your advice, that's very helpful, thanks

13/01/2024
Poorly finished exposed recycled brick boundary wall.

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

Hi all, My neighbour has built his 15m long garage on our boundary. It was agreed as part of the planning permit that the wall must be in exposed recycled brick. For some…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!
Home
Pros
Forum