Join Login
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!

Building Code Advice

Page 1 of 1
Advise please: Need advice on building code and whether it is mandatory under the building code in SA to have Hitch Brackets installed on the non-load bearing walls attaching to the roof trusses (if that does not make sense, refer to diagram)

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=pryd ... B335%3B335

Advise welcome - Thanks
These brackets allow the trusses to sag but provide lateral restraint to the tops of the internal walls. Without them longer internal walls will move (wobble) when pushed.

These brackets also transfer lateral loads from the bottom chord of the truss to internal bracing walls. Where internal walls are designated as bracing walls, these brackets should be used.
There are other methods to provide this lateral restraint by using blocking pieces of timber which are installed in such a way they can slide vertically past each other but not side ways.

This lateral restraint to roof trusses is more important when you have a gable roof.
Yes, thats exactly what I have been told they are for but have been unable to find out if they are mandatory in South Australia or the exact name of the bracket.
I think you will find it comes under the roof company's install guide and not BCA.
They are called Pryda Internal wall hitch Part No MPPHH.

They are available at Bunnings. The cost is about 50 cents
Vouge
Advise please: Need advice on building code and whether it is mandatory under the building code in SA to have Hitch Brackets installed on the non-load bearing walls attaching to the roof trusses (if that does not make sense, refer to diagram)

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=pryd ... B335%3B335

Advise welcome - Thanks

Yes you do need them on any straight internal wall longer than 1800mm without an intersecting wall (which will brace it). Check out AS 4440:2004 2.2.3 (c)

mgilla
I think you will find it comes under the roof company's install guide and not BCA.

It is a requirement in AS 4440:2004 which covers trussed roofs.

To the OP - yes you do need them and don't be shy with their use. You need to make sure they are installed correctly (nails at the top of the slots but not quite driven home (very important))
Thank you all, I will bring this up with the site supervisor. I should add that the trusses have also been nailed in places from non load bearing wall up through to the trusses which I also have been advised being incorrect.?
Why do you ask the question 'Vouge'
As of now (frame trussess & roof on being bricked up as we speak) they have not been fitted and want to ensure that if the need to be fitted I am armed with the appropriate advice.
Vouge
Thank you all, I will bring this up with the site supervisor. I should add that the trusses have also been nailed in places from non load bearing wall up through to the trusses which I also have been advised being incorrect.?

No trusses should be in contact with NLB walls what so ever and there should be at least a 10mm gap between them. The only exception are the above mentioned "L" brackets and slip blocks, both must be correctly installed to allow slight movement of the truss independently of the walls. Just be sure you aren't looking at a slip block or similar (pics would be handy on this item)

Quote:
As of now (frame trusses & roof on being bricked up as we speak) they have not been fitted and want to ensure that if the need to be fitted I am armed with the appropriate advice.

Refer to my post above. It's all there. The diagram out of the Pryda installation guide is straight out of AS4440.
Related
16/05/2024
Rear setback confusion for NSW CDC Housing Code

Building A New House

hey nedket, We have a similar lot like yours >. just wondering how is it going with your DA application, is the Blue line is the correct solution (offset the rear boundary…

12/06/2023
CDC Housing Code 3: Gross Floor Area vs Floor Area

Building A New House

CDC Housing Code 3 When to apply Floor Area external face of wall vs Gross Floor Area internal face of wall. Reading thru CDC Housing Code 3, lets take a lot 915sqm.…

29/12/2023
res code

Buying Land

There's a fee

You are here
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!
Home
Pros
Forum