Join Login
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!

Disabled Access Ramps Compliance with AS1428

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

Does anyone know if the Australian Standard AS1428 "Design For Access and Amenity" Is applicable to residential development?

I am aware of its relevance to commercial construction projects however I have to build a disabled access ramp at my personal home to accommodate an elderly family member and was concerned I may have troubles selling the house in the future if I have a ramp which does not comply.

Thanks
I have a long term tenant in a unit that required access ramps front and back. The ramps fitted are compliant, detachable and easily removed without property damage. I still have the relevant paperwork here somewhere.

I will have a look when I get a chance.
Compliance with AS1428 is not a requirement for a class 1a dwelling. Ramps are required to be 1:8 or flatter with balustrade requirement as per normal.
Related
16/05/2024
Roof Plumbing - no compliance certificate ?

General Discussion

I can totally relate to your shed project struggles—I recently tackled a similar ordeal, and it was quite the journey. Navigating through all those regulations and hoops…

15/08/2023
Building Design Certificate Non-Compliance

General Discussion

From a pure legal perspective, if you've signed the variation, it is a very high bar to have it set aside. No-one can give you legal advice on a forum, but you would need…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!
Home
Pros
Forum