Join Login
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!

Corrosion Protection

Page 1 of 1
Hi I have been posting in the building in Seaford Meadows thread about this is but want to get a wider opinion.

Here is what has happened :

We have been in the administration stage since the beginning of October.

The planning and development part of our house came out of council at the end of December.

A week ago we went to our final building interview as was told that we need corrosion protection as per council instructions, they had only just been notified.

We ring up council to confirm they said we wouldn't as we live 2.5km from the beach and we are not in a surf coast area.

We wait on a quote to see what it will cost.
Quote comes just over $1000.

We contact building company and tell them that the council says we shouldn't need it why do you say we do?

We get full council approval in mail says private certifier says we need it and mentions about the coastal line.

We ring Super lock steel (what our house is being made out of) and ask them if the steel is treated for corrosion. The guy who is actually from the weeks group (Our building company) says we wouldn't need it and he wants to speak to the person who told us this. We give him the name and he said he will call us back.
He calls back and changes his mind and said we would need it due to certain reasons now.

We then sent off another email to the lady who did our building interview and she in turn said she will get someone to call us back in regards to the matter.

Today the someone else gets back to us on the matter and says the reason we actually need it is because we are 1km from the Onkaparinga River. A different story from what we believed initially.

What do people think? What should we do?

Anybody?

I think for the sake of only $1000 it would be worth having the corrosion protection.
Thanks true it may but that is not my issue entirely just the fact that whether we really need it. Why weren't we told earlier when plenty of houses are being built in the area. Plus all my other points. $1000 is a lot of money when you are building a house for the first time and on 2 modest incomes.

Related
You are here
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!
Home
Pros
Forum