Join Login
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!

Water Connection Dual Occupancy Sub division

Page 1 of 1
I am building two units on the same block in Victoria.

The unit 1 is facing the street with the mains water and unit 2 is behind.

The Water Authority has asked both meters to be street facing the mains which is unit 1 to make it easy for them to read and Unit 2's water supply can pass through unit 1.

The builder is challenging the water authority and doesn't accept the configuration, saying it would not pass the building inspection and a new water supply must be built in the lane way out the back of Unit 2 so the water supply is entirely separate.

It doesn't make sense to me that the Water Authority would ask for a configuration that the building inspector would not accept.

Has anybody been challenged by the builder or builiding inspector about this type of dual occupancy water connection? Does the Water Authority get this stuff wrong?
KangarooBuilder
It doesn't make sense to me that the Water Authority would ask for a configuration that the building inspector would not accept.

Has anybody been challenged by the builder or building inspector about this type of dual occupancy water connection? Does the Water Authority get this stuff wrong?

The water authority is like any other business.. Changes and variations cost buyers extra.
Building inspectors here (WA) are at the bottom of the pecking order very limited power/authority
Related
22/12/2023
Water main connection

Building A New House

Hi all I'm currently building a duplex in Sydney and we need to do a new water connection to the second unit. The water main is on the other side of the road so we need…

1/06/2024
Water connection for New Build

Building A New House

I had to do this 2 weeks ago. I'm in Melbourne. The water company was Ok if moved upto 600 mm sideways. Any more than that and they wanted $$. The water meter connects…

8/12/2023
Electrical - Sub distribution box/lighting automation

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

1. optional, you can but normally just use the earth from the main switch board 2. should be enough but the distance determines voltage drop - sparky should work it…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!
Home
Pros
Forum