Join Login
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!

Side Setbacks

Page 1 of 1
Hi all, wondering if anybody knows the rational behind being allowed to build on the side boundary, 200mm off and then a jump to 1/1.2mtr for a single story.

I know the setback increase the higher the house is but what I'm confused by is why I can build 200mm off the boundary or it has to be all the way to 1/1.2. Why can't I build 300 mm off it for example or 500mm. A right little brain teaser this has been so any enlightenment would be much appreciated.

Also does anybody know the rational for having to splay a garage if you have an unusual side that fans as you follow the boundary? I heard that it's in the case of a fire somebody doesn't think that they have an exit out of the house only to find out that when the further down that they can't get out. Just wondering if this is true ?

thanks in advance for any help
Related
5/08/2023
What is the minimum side/back setbacks for small lots?

Building A New House

My land is 260m2 (10m x 26m) located in claymore NSW. Under campbelltown council. I know in general the following setbacks would apply ground floor side setback =…

3/09/2023
Can you build on both side fence boundaries (Victoria)?

General Discussion

Hey everyone Not for me or anyone I know, just generally interested. For a single allotment house, are you allowed to take the fence on both sides of your house and…

14/09/2023
Bench top overhang on the side

Laundry

Thanks Ardo, they are sort of semi concealed. I think it is only a few millimetres. I see if they can adjust the hinges.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!
Home
Pros
Forum