Join Login
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!

Water sitting against concrete slab

Page 1 of 1
Hi guys, I'm currently building a new home in the Hunter Valley. Its on H2 soil and have had screw piers and footings put in with a waffle slab.
I noticed 2 weeks ago, when the slab was poured, that there was water build up next to the front garage. 2 weeks on and it hasn't gone anywhere, just gotten worse.
The frames have started to go up yesterday.

Just looking for some advice as I know that water under waffle slabs is bad.
Should I be worried?

I've attached some photos.

Cheers Josh

Hopefully no need to worry too much but would be good to look into a solution. Like having the first metre and a bit of soil slope away.

Cornell Engineers have some good videos on this topic.
Chiz
Hopefully no need to worry too much but would be good to look into a solution. Like having the first metre and a bit of soil slope away.

As required per Part 2 of the NCC.
volume 2
page 113
3.2.2.6 Vapour barriers
Ask your builder what Performance Solution system are they going to use? & heads up..painting blackjack on the slab edge doesn't comply with the Performance Requirements
They should slope it away where they can. In some instances it isn't possible, we just had to deal with it during construction and get it fixed ASAP after handover.
Hi,

The recommendations of AS2870 are pretty clear as well. I wouldn’t panic about it but if the builder can’t construct to the standard, he still has an obligation to keep water away from the slab. There are numerous ways this could cause future problems-or could be fine. I wouldn’t risk it. Ask the builder what he is going to do to get the water away from the slab. Assume the site gets shut for some unforeseen reason. Not sure picture below will load….

Gunny101
Hi guys, I'm currently building a new home in the Hunter Valley. Its on H2 soil and have had screw piers and footings put in with a waffle slab.
I noticed 2 weeks ago, when the slab was poured, that there was water build up next to the front garage. 2 weeks on and it hasn't gone anywhere, just gotten worse.
The frames have started to go up yesterday.

Just looking for some advice as I know that water under waffle slabs is bad.
Should I be worried?

I've attached some photos.

Cheers Josh

Download the AS2870 which clearly states water ca nkt pond ne t a slab, ground must be sloldd away from slab 50mm over 1 metre around your slab. Water and waffle slabs do not go together once water gets under your waffle slab damage is done if will never dry out when you have builders plastic under it water will travel into your plumbing trenches you will have problems down the track. I didnt found out i had slab heave 3 years after hand over 7 years later still going legally.
Be very careful. Good luck
Related
12/12/2023
Water pools against house in one spot

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Thanks for the advice mate. I'm on it.

4/09/2023
Newly Installed Aircon Not Sitting Flush with the Wall

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

The unit normally clips into a metal plate screwed to the wall, either plate is not flush, or unit not hooked in and could be hanging from the pipes partly, either might…

12/07/2023
Soil against brick shed

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

I'm in WA and our sandy soils make drainage a bit easier but this is what I'd be doing. Dig down to your footings and let the wall dry out. Clean it all well by brushing…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!
Home
Pros
Forum