Join Login
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!

Insulation

Page 1 of 1
Hi
I recently had my HANDOVER of a small two storey home.

I paid extra for insulation between floors for sound proofing, yet when I am downstairs I can hear my 9kg dog running around upstairs on both the hybrid floors and thick carpet floors (with high quality underlay).
She sounds like a giant rat!
I don't believe the installation was laid evenly or through out the gap between floors.

What would be the easiest way to check without cutting a hole in the timber floor?

I did take the exhaust fan from the down stairs shower out and saw one big insulation bat there but don't think it is throughout. I couldn't get my camera high enough into the gap to see.

My neighbor brought armfulls of insulation back to my house that had blown out of the upper ceiling, while waiting days for the ceilings to be put in to hold that in place.
So that was a bit of a red flag for me!

I am thinking if I cut through the timber floor in my robe, least damage done, I would have a better view of the whole area as there is a 40 cm gap between floors.
Thermal camera. You can hire them from kennards
remove light fittings downstairs and have a look
aussieta

I only have baton light fittings at this point. Hole only big enough for the electric wiring to poke through. Not even a thermal camera would fit through that.
Thanks anyway.
Sharlie
aussieta

I only have baton light fittings at this point. Hole only big enough for the electric wiring to poke through. Not even a thermal camera would fit through that.
Thanks anyway.

Lol. Um...

The thermal camera doesn't go in any openings. You just point it at a wall/ceiling and you'll know immediately if it's been installed correctly

https://www.flir.com/discover/professio ... nsulation/
Noname
Sharlie
aussieta

Thanks anyway.

Lol. Um...

The thermal camera doesn't go in any openings. You just point it at a wall/ceiling and you'll know immediately if it's been installed correctly

i was referring to removing a led fitting and having a look, i think op knew what i meant
aussieta
Noname
Sharlie

Thanks anyway.

Lol. Um...

i was referring to removing a led fitting and having a look, i think op knew what i meant

Re read the op response and contextualise my response. You'll find you're barking up the wrong tree.
Thermal imaging camera will only give a reading if there is a temperature difference between upper and lower floor, if there is no difference you will read nothing.
building-expert
Thermal imaging camera will only give a reading if there is a temperature difference between upper and lower floor, if there is no difference you will read nothing.

Heat or cool the upper floor before taking readings. Problem solved
Insulation does not do much for impact noise, only airborne. You should have specced furring channels with isolation mounts if that was critical. Not many builders recommend them but they make a huge difference.

I had sound proofing insulation installed between bedroom and lounge room above. There is a noticeable appreciable difference between transferred ambient sound, but only minor difference when someone walks on the floorboards directly above.

Sorry, but I think, even if installed correctly, you're not going to get a great noise suppression from impact transference.
Related
15/06/2023
Missing Building Wrap / Insulation

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Hey guys building a new place through a volume builder and just wondering if i should complain to the site supervisor as we just had plasterboard installed. Looks like…

6/07/2023
Hebel Flooring PLUS Insulation or Not?

General Discussion

1000000% definitely add insulation. I have in my home and it makes a big difference minimising sound transfer. Insulation is pretty cheap and definitely worth it

You are here
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!
Home
Pros
Forum