Join Login
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!

Non Compliant glass splash backs

Page 1 of 1
Hello,

Close to the end of my build now and decided to get a building inspector involved. I’ve been informed that my kitchen splash back is not complaint but the builder is hesitant to fix it. According to Australian Standard AG/ 601-AS5601 Gas stove tops needs to be at a minimum 200mm away from a glass splash back even if it is toughened glass. The builder has offered to provide a letter that if the glass cracks he will replace it but that doesn’t seem like enough to me. Can I please have some ideas on what I can do in this instance? I’m keen to handover but I don’t know what my options are here.
Hi Tamika
Everyone is reading the standards incorrectly.
Basically if a vertical surface is closer than 200mm from the actual burner then it needs to be noncombustible.
5mm safety glass and 10mm gypsum board (gyprock) is compliant.
Your builder is right.
If you look at AS 5601
Section 610.1.1; 610.1.2
And appendix C table C1
The only thing you need to avoid is having a large saucepan or pot resting against the glass while cooking. The flame runs under the pan and will damage the paint behind the glass and it will either bubble or burn marks. Never allow pots or pans to rest against the glass or tiles for that matter
chippy
Hi Tamika
Basically if a vertical surface is closer than 200mm from the actual burner then it needs to be noncombustible.
Your builder is right.

The vertical surface is less than 200mm from the burner. The glass is 600mm toughened glass and I believe the gyrock is 9mm. Because the burner is less than 200mm from the glass splash back doesn’t there at least need to be a fire rated board behind the glass?
Nope. 5mm safety glass and 10mm gyprock is compliant.
Tamika
chippy
Hi Tamika
Your builder is right.

The vertical surface is less than 200mm from the burner. The glass is 600mm toughened glass and I believe the gyrock is 9mm. Because the burner is less than 200mm from the glass splash back doesn’t there at least need to be a fire rated board behind the glass?

Here are the requirements

Related
23/04/2024
Kaplan Homes Non Compliant & Substandard Workmanship

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

Hi, yes, we have the report. The builder has rectified the items on the report and we’re moving forward with the build. Thanks for reaching out

27/03/2024
Vertical Garden Kitchen splash back design

General Discussion

Our Bondi Greenwall was impressive from day one with advanced lush plants to provide a wow factor to this recently renovated living area. The boundary was less than 1…

15/08/2023
Building Design Certificate Non-Compliance

General Discussion

From a pure legal perspective, if you've signed the variation, it is a very high bar to have it set aside. No-one can give you legal advice on a forum, but you would need…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!
Home
Pros
Forum