Join Login
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!

Continuous tie down

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone, my first time dealing with steel frame it's prefabricated but can't find any info about tie down,
Do they still need continuous rod tie down floor to truss ,if so any idea about spacing
Is it a house, shed or patio
What's the wind rating N1, N2 etc on the site
It should be on your DA form?
hth
Thanks for the response, New house, raised floor , wind N3, the engineer who designed the floor specified tie down from steel bearer to bottom plate of steel frame, 1500mm spacing, I couldn't find any details in the permit
You will require an engineers certificate from the truss manufacturer as well
The tie down should be continuous from the footings to the truss
you also require shear wall certified design
OT the engineer often only gets asked and paid to design one aspect of the structure, eg Footings,
If they don't get paid they don't look at the rest of the structure, ie the walls and roof trusses.
If they are manufactured they should come with a structural certificate certified by the manufacturers engineers
It's Up the the Building surveyor and council to make sure all documents are complete and correct
How do you know if its been built correctly if you don't have all the documentation, non compliance can also potentially void any possible future insurance claims
hth
I bought the frame through a builder, the manufacturer sent me form 15 and all fixing details and tie down ,, all there but couldn't find any details about tie down rods, will go through the details again but i think I will try to contact engineer to check on spacing
I’m doing a build but haven’t got to frame stage. There is no continuous connection on mine. Just bottom plate to joists and straps over the roof trusses.
Berek , we have an inspection on floor soon will ask the engineer, engineer said for bottom plate to joist 1500 spacing but not mentioned on plans
Mine aren’t either. In the construction guide it says to attach at openings and at bracing points. Can’t remember exactly.
Related
7/06/2023
Renting knock-down rebuild pre council/demolition

Building A New House

We've had the offer of a short term tenant whilst waiting for CDC/DA home approval and demolition for our knock down rebuild. It would achieve a pretty low rent as it's…

24/05/2024
Costs of knock down rebuild in Melbourne 2024

Building A New House

Seems reasonable for a base level build. Just depends on what you consider average.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!
Home
Pros
Forum