Join Login
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!

Plasterboard cracks - Builder responsibility

Page 1 of 1
Hi, I got my home constructed in 2017 by a reputed builder. I have seen that there are some cracks developing in walls and I am not sure if these would be covered under structural warranty.

Posted some pics for reference. There are 4 or 5 more places with some hairline cracks.

Please advise.

Regards
Bansi

Jesus.. if my home looked like that after only three years I’d be contacting the builder for rectification..
if it is slab heave (which is quite likely), then you might be having hard time proving the builder it is not your own fault (e.g. having water around the foundation) which caused it
I contacted the builder and he reckons its normal to have cracks due to ground movements. Further he suggests that it can be fixed by a handyman under 300. I asked him to pay it up but he is not agreeing. Confused.
Handyman fixes, but then ground movement (your slab heave) continues and cracks re-appear, then you get your jammed doors, etc.

This is how it starts.

I suggest your rather higher professional building inspector to check and understand the root cause and then advice what needs to be done.
They seem relatively normal. Sometimes wind pounding on a wall can cause these, letalone differential settlement which is very typical, and settlement which takes about 20 years to stop. Might very well just be thermal expansion causing these too.

The most concerning crack is the one beneath the beam, however I think this is either due to deflection of the beam (creep deflection), or, most likely, a workmanship detailing issue around the beam. This will probably need to be re-worked, with the crack exposed to make sure its not running through the beam (i really don't think it is).

Ideally, a gyprocker or a good painter would be best suited to fix these properly.

This is what you would infact expect in the early years of a new home, to a certain extent ofcourse.

Engineer here.

Goodluck.
hey Bansi
Which state are you in? lodge a complaint with your State Building commission.
Structural Serviceability defects should not be accepted in new builds.
Cheers
Chris
StructuralBIMGuy
hey Bansi
Cheers
Chris

These are most likely not serviceability defects. One could only know for sure after a detailed inspection.
moudzj
StructuralBIMGuy
hey Bansi
Cheers
Chris

These are most likely not serviceability defects. One could only know for sure after a detailed inspection.

Lol, Mate, you're covering your mistakes like the gyprocker/painter , who incidentally aren't qualified to do detailed structural inspections.
You must be from NSWs, where sadly, the Batters and punters have very little recourse for building defects.. unlike other states that have independent building commissions Here
Builder collapse leaves apartment owners fearing alleged $30m defects Bill
Cheers
Chris
StructuralBIMGuy
moudzj
StructuralBIMGuy
hey Bansi
Cheers
Chris

Lol, Mate, you're covering your mistakes like the gyprocker/painter , who incidentally aren't qualified to do detailed structural inspections.
You must be from NSWs, where sadly, the Batters and punters have very little recourse for building defects.. unlike other states that have independent building commissions
Cheers
Chris

Maybe try actually reading my replies so you could first understand.
lol, Patch it up she'll be right
Thanks for the inputs. I have had the plaster person and the builder come and visit the damages. Some cracks in the wall were suggested as a settlement driven (movement) cracks. They reckon since the house is around 4 yrs old, it would have setup and hence good time to repair it. Apparently, a lot of houses have the cracks developing in the 1st 6 months aswell. Ofcourse all this is said by the builder which I can understand is being said as a defense. There was one issue they have agreed as an issue from their end and they have agreed to fix it. I will still need to cough up around 30% of the money.
Good to hear Bansi. Its unfortunate that you couldn't negotiate the builder to cover all the costs, but its no big deal.

A good outcome overall i think.

Goodluck.
Related
28/07/2023
Responsibility on Builder or Customer: Conduit Issue

General Discussion

the conduit would need to be undamaged regardless of what network is in play. The conduit needs to be able to have fibre run through it. NBN and Opticomm are just…

15/11/2023
Internal brick wall vs plasterboard - cost and acoustic?

Building A New House

Thank you alexp79 and gommeqld for your advice, that's very helpful, thanks

12/02/2024
Resilient mounts with standard 13mm plasterboard

Building A New House

What we have done in a few theatres ( including my own) is run 2 layers of 13mm gyprock, but sounds insulation especially for the bass is really tricky as a lot of that…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!
Home
Pros
Forum