Join Login
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!

Protecting your Slab

Page 22 of 28
onc_artisan
Just looking from a distance:
The bath 'blockout' is pretty normal. A foam block installed prior to the concrete being poured around it, once cured is removed.
To me the edges look rough because the forms were taken off (or the supports taken away) early and the slurry layer has pulled off revealing some honeycombing.
Yes the edges could have been vibrated more, will there be any degradation as a result?
Well 'parge' the edge and make sure it doesn't have an effect. Pretty simple really.

Hi Onc_artisan,

Thanks for that information.

Regarding the edges, that is exactly what our slab supervisor told us but I thought it was just to keep us happy. My main concern is potential degradation of the slab due to it being 'un-boxed' early and removing the edges.

To be quite honest the rest of the slab looks great. No cracks or 'weeping'. The rest of the edges are quite clean also. However, who knows what the concrete is like below the surface.

Cheers.
Some of the forms look like they were tough to get out and they probably thought they would swell,.. truth is they will shrink as will the concrete... I'd be a LOT happier to see some plastic covering the stuff though. at least for a week.
onc_artisan
Some of the forms look like they were tough to get out and they probably thought they would swell,.. truth is they will shrink as will the concrete... I'd be a LOT happier to see some plastic covering the stuff though. at least for a week.

Yea, it's a shame really. The slab they poured next door (same team) came up 10x nicer on the edges. Must have been a matter of an hour.

Just got a response from our Inspector (within 5 mins of sending the email) confirming that it is a termite barrier issue and needs to be rectified ASAP.

Cheers for all the help.
hi I have done concrete path with fall away from house right around my house twice , once in the late 80,s, and just 2 months ago, with my house in the 80,s, never had any problems anytime, and current house, so far so good, only place cant be done is 5 metres on boundary, but this area is 1.5metres higher than ground level so slab here cant get water anyhow, and I got strip footings, I even concreted under my entry which is quite large and elevated, regards
Slab repairs will be conducted today (finally!)

I am quite nervous about this and keeping a close eye. So far PD have done a good job at rectifying this issue by providing all the documentation.

http://www.dunedin29.blogspot.com.au/20 ... inued.html
Apparently I was right to be nervous... check out the lovely work they have done in the concrete pour.

I really don't think this is acceptable at all and if any of the experts on here can provide their feedback I would much appreciate that.

More photos here: http://www.dunedin29.blogspot.com.au/2015/04/slab-repairs-completed-or-are-they.html
I could comment on that but then you have your own inspector so he would be best to look after you.
building-expert
I could comment on that but then you have your own inspector so he would be best to look after you.

Hi BE,

I noticed you have made a few similar comments about forwarding issues to our inspector. Not sure why

Of course I am asking my inspector and he is providing feedback. However, as I have said previously I find it important to listen to others advice and share my experience. That is the point of this forum and the reason why I put so much effort into my blog.

Cheers
joea
building-expert

Hi BE,

I noticed you have made a few similar comments about forwarding issues to our inspector. Not sure why

Of course I am asking my inspector and he is providing feedback. However, as I have said previously I find it important to listen to others advice and share my experience. That is the point of this forum and the reason why I put so much effort into my blog.

Cheers

Perhaps you could share your inspectors feedback with us, after all he is paid to give you right advice and it ought to be more direct and comprehensive than any free advice you will get on this forum.
building-expert

Perhaps you could share your inspectors feedback with us, after all he is paid to give you right advice and it ought to be more direct and comprehensive than any free advice you will get on this forum.

Sure thing.

Feedback for the original repair is as follows;

- Get a copy of the engineering (Received)
- Get a copy of the surveyor inspection. Both witnessing the opening and closing of the slab. (Not Received)
- Ensure termite protection is applied (Not Received)

Initial feedback on the repair (based on photos) is that the quality of work is not acceptable and needs to be redone. I agree!

However, I think it's fair to say he will need to inspect the areas of 'repair' and then I can quote it as official expert feedback.
joea
building-expert

Sure thing.

Initial feedback on the repair (based on photos) is that the quality of work is not acceptable and needs to be redone. I agree!

However, I think it's fair to say he will need to inspect the areas of 'repair' and then I can quote it as official expert feedback.

It does not seem to me that anyone not visiting the site can add anything meaningful.
building-expert
joea
building-expert

Sure thing.

It does not seem to me that anyone not visiting the site can add anything meaningful.

Still not sure where you're heading with this...

Even though I am not in the building trade and don't have the experience, I am an engineer and have a basic understanding of structures.

I visited the site and I do not believe the repair work completed is structurally sound.

Now, I am choosing to seek advice on a forum from other members that have experience/knowledge in this trade and are willing to help.

No disrespect BE, I appreciate your expertise and knowledge in this area but if you are not willing to share any advice that can help me improve my understanding without blindly trusting (inspector, builder, surveyor, tradesmen, supervisor) then please ignore my posts.

Thank you.
I would have expected more of an explanation from the expert. Like why you need the reports and what needs to happen and the consequences of the defect
What does the engineering say in regards to what needs to be done?
Ok I will make it clear.

I do my best on this forum to help people to point them in the right direction with general advice where they should be going or finding their answer. However my services are not free and specific project advice is pay for service.

I would be reluctant to give you specific advice without visiting your site and reviewing your documents, and as you already have your inspector that is a job for him. (on the face of it concrete repair is a poor job)

just imagine ringing your GP "Doc I have a crook stomach can you tell me what it is? What's he going to say to you?

I am not trying to be arrogant or too smart but the fact is that you have your professional inspector giving paid advice and you could be sharing that advice with the forum rather than asking for advice from forum from people that have not had the opportunity to review the job and docs and cannot possibly give you the quality of advice that you should be getting from your inspector.

Forum is for sharing = giving and taking
insider
What does the engineering say in regards to what needs to be done?

Hi Insider,

Here is a screenshot of the engineering.

The reo was rectified from the original photos I posted on my blog. The prep work done was OK and signed off.

It doesn't mention anything in there about boxing. Surely that is a common process the concrete crew would follow for repairs?
building-expert
Ok I will make it clear.

I do my best on this forum to help people to point them in the right direction with general advice where they should be going or finding their answer. However my services are not free and specific project advice is pay for service.

I would be reluctant to give you specific advice without visiting your site and reviewing your documents, and as you already have your inspector that is a job for him. (on the face of it concrete repair is a poor job)

just imagine ringing your GP "Doc I have a crook stomach can you tell me what it is? What's he going to say to you?

I am not trying to be arrogant or too smart but the fact is that you have your professional inspector giving paid advice and you could be sharing that advice with the forum rather than asking for advice from forum from people that have not had the opportunity to review the job and docs and cannot possibly give you the quality of advice that you should be getting from your inspector.

Forum is for sharing = giving and taking

BE,

I did not ask you specifically for advice nor am I forcing your hand to respond.

P.S. I, as many members on here give a lot back to this forum through what is viewable to the public and what is private.
You are still not answering if what your expert has said not just what the builders engineers have come up with.
Slab Heave Recipient
You are still not answering if what your expert has said not just what the builders engineers have come up with.

I did list what our independent said earlier. Here is a screen shot from the report.

Hi Joea
I'd be ringing up their engineer sending them the photos and telling him another engineer has questioned durability.
LOL...Your expert building surveyor has missed the obvious... Lap and tape poly Leave a PM
Related
12/06/2023
Concrete slab formwork - what happens after?

General Discussion

The concreter will take and reuse. In my case I bought structural LVLs and scraped them back and used them as joists.

24/06/2023
Slab design

Building A New House

Although I am a big opponent of using waffle pod slabs over H2/P soils under any circumstances, in your case I would certainly opt in to keep piers under central…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!
Home
Pros
Forum