Join Login
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!

New house frame issues

Page 12 of 18
A shame that the photos were removed, they were very good examples. Not good when that happens.
Ah Yep I can see its hammered in to far now.
tlblhayward
With picture 3, the lintel there is packing between the timber and the lintel which means that it is not plumb.

or a 35mm jack stud was used in which case a 10mm packer may be required. Can't tell from that pic if the lintel was out of plumb however that is **very** un-usual)

Quote:
With picture 4, the bracket has been nailed hard up against the timber which means that the truss can not move up and down under the weight of the roof. This is not permitted!

Correct and the nails are supposed to be at the top of the slot to allow the roof to move down.

http://www.pryda.com.au/download/upload ... SA.pdf/384 <- Check out Item 6. The rest of that document is very handy too
A report on our site meeting today with a Construction Manager...

http://bendigowaldorf.blogspot.com/2015 ... ction.html

We talked a lot about frame issues so I would appreciate any advice/help that anyone can provide.
Post edited... thanks RedHotMike for fixing your post!
tlblhayward

Sorry - I buggered up the link. It's actually different to that document. I have fixed my post.
tlblhayward
A report on our site meeting today with a Construction Manager...

http://bendigowaldorf.blogspot.com/2015 ... ction.html

We talked a lot about frame issues so I would appreciate any advice/help that anyone can provide.

Aside from the practicalities of actually doing it (NFI how they are going to go about it) then yeah once it's pulled back into plumb all should be well. Just check none of the nail plates have popped or are starting to pull out. A truss slightly over spaced is usually nothing to worry about from a truss itself point of view although you may have to nog out below the roof battens and a scab may be required to bring plaster back within spec.
*post up the truss plant justification if you are able. It may make interesting reading

Sister joists and/or replacement are fine.

With regard to the wall being out of plumb - I'm assuming it's a L.B. Wall?? In which case just prop the offending trusses/whatever with acro-props, plumb it up and off you go. Recipro saws are great for cutting bottom plate nails :p
RedHotMike...

1. Which part do you have "NFI how they are going to go about it"?

2. As soon as I get the justification I'll pass it on to you

3. The wall being out of plumb is a load bearing external wall.

Any other thoughts?
tlblhayward
RedHotMike...

1. Which part do you have "NFI how they are going to go about it"?

2. As soon as I get the justification I'll pass it on to you

3. The wall being out of plumb is a load bearing external wall.

Any other thoughts?

1. How they are physically going to do the job. I'd not want to be under it whilst they are doing that maneuver but to be fair I haven't seen the work instruction to understand it fully

2. Thanks

3. KK. Yeah, just prop it, plumb it and happy days
Does anyone know if it is a requirement to put additional floor joists (or other support) under a freestanding bath on a second floor? The weight of the bath is 40kg, the capacity is 210L and the average Aussie bloke weighs 87.1kg (according to the ABS). That would be almost 340kg!
Does this capacity 210L is with 87kg person in tub or without?
Now that I've reread my post, I better change it because clearly you can't fill the bath to capacity (of 210L which is 210kg) and then get into it! The entire weight (maximum) would be the 40kg bath plus 210kg (which is person plus water).
If bath tub's width spans over two joists then 250kg weight shouldn't be a problem.

I know a case where bath tub plumbing wasn't good enough and leakage under tub cavity caused a big damage within a day post handover.
tlblhayward
Does anyone know if it is a requirement to put additional floor joists (or other support) under a freestanding bath on a second floor? The weight of the bath is 40kg, the capacity is 210L and the average Aussie bloke weighs 87.1kg (according to the ABS). That would be almost 340kg!

You can either have a bath full to capacity with water or a person in it, not both. That said the normal domestic floor load is 1.5kPa. From there you should be able to calculate if it's close or not.
A bath full of water is a "live" load. It is only a short term temporary load which is unlikely to cause permanent deflections in the floor whereas water bed or large fish tank (or full height bookshelf fully loaded with books) would be a "dead" load and more likely to cause permanent deflections.
RedHotMike
tlblhayward

You can either have a bath full to capacity with water or a person in it, not both. That said the normal domestic floor load is 1.5kPa. From there you should be able to calculate if it's close or not.

Thanks RedHotMike... I picked up my mistake but I obviously didn't correct it quick enough!
Beetaloo
A bath full of water is a "live" load. It is only a short term temporary load which is unlikely to cause permanent deflections in the floor whereas water bed or large fish tank (or full height bookshelf fully loaded with books) would be a "dead" load and more likely to cause permanent deflections.

Well explained... thank you!
Today... at our Supervisor's request... I went and marked out the potentially defective floor joists at my place. Check out my blog if you are interested in finding out the full story. All advice and guidance is greatly appreciated!

http://bendigowaldorf.blogspot.com/2015 ... ation.html
Why would it be your job to do ? Why doesn't he get his QA guy through to do it?

Geez laziness like that irritates me

Crazyk
Why would it be your job to do ? Why doesn't he get his QA guy through to do it?

Geez laziness like that irritates me

I agree... I am thinking that they won't even question them, they will just rectify them. At least if I mark them then I put in the time/effort to climb the ladder 30 times, pull away the sisalation, etc.
Related
18/04/2024
Hebel + steel frame vs brick+ timber frame

General Discussion

This is 100% true. You can not hang anything on steel frames. very frustrating

28/06/2023
Second story extension on steel frame house

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi, We have a single story MacDonald Jones house, on a waffle pod slab with steel frame. Are we able to build a second story extension? Other info is we are 900mm from…

11/07/2023
Any issues?

Building A New House

I am looking at building a house. Has anyone used Construkt Homes (based in Adelaide)? Does anyone have experience with this builder?

You are here
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!
Home
Pros
Forum