Join Login
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!

M-class Slab on P class soil

Page 2 of 2
bentleigh_boy
The footings are M-class did the builder charge extra for Deep edge Beams &/or piers?
Fixed Site Cost... More info required what's included in the quote? +The next issue may be what's done on site
often the piers don't go in as specified?
Question will you get a credit, Who inspects the hole depths, Concrete, etc,etc
BTW, That is not the final engineering drawings.. that's worse case?
Please post back with your final quote & Engineering.hth
bentleigh_boy
kirashogun
Did they even do a soil test or did they infer. Because a Ys value of 20-40mm sounds suspect. My soil report has a single figure rather than a range that is exactly matching soil classification. Sounds like all they did is infer. Not good enough.

P just means your slab needs to be custom designed due to something unusual about the site. It is not strictly a soil condition grade. In your case it’s the fill. All KDR sites are P grade. But a separate soil grade still needs to be given.

In the report they have mentioned that they went on site on 23rd oct and did the soil test.
Is a M slab acceptable based on their assessment?
Just pay 400 bucks and get another soil test

Hi bentleighboy
I relied on my builders geotech too.
When I asked him for his final report after house was finished he referred me to the builder.
And I read detailed report and it says I take no responsibility for anything.... blah blah.
bentleigh_boy
kirashogun
bentleigh_boy, I PMed you the geotech engineer my builder used. They seem to be pretty good.

Thank you kirashogun, much appreciated. Will talk to them for sure.
Can I ask which builder you used and where did you build?

Hi Bentleigh_boy,

Our soil test is classification P due to KDR, but is underlying S classification. We get our contract and site costs later this month, but I am expecting a slab for S classification with maybe provision for piers if post demo identifies soil issue.
adje
Have the fill/soil properly compacted and checked by your engineer, it will not require piers
hth
StructuralBIMGuy
@adje
Have the fill/soil properly compacted and checked by your engineer, it will not require piers
hth

Thanks @StructuralBIMGuy
StructuralBIMGuy
@adje
hth

Just got the prelim and they are recommending screw piles - 11.5k although they will be doing a further survey, hydraulic and soil test once demolition is done. My concern is they want to fix price the site costs prior to demolition and secondary test. Thoughts structuralBIMGuy ?
Unlikely to change if they already have recommended screw piles before knock down.Problem happens when they don't recommend deep footings after the initial soil test while the house is still there and then recommend deep footings with the second soil test after the knock down when you are committed.
adje
StructuralBIMGuy
@adje
hth

Just got the prelim and they are recommending screw piles - 11.5k although they will be doing a further survey, hydraulic and soil test once demolition is done. My concern is they want to fix price the site costs prior to demolition and secondary test. Thoughts structuralBIMGuy ?

Await the independent second test don't lock in piers. hth
Related
15/12/2023
Getting home built - Is H1 class waffle pod slab ok?

Building A New House

The Soil classification has little to do with piers. The purpose of the classing of the soil is to identify the clay content and the "average expected range of movement…

11/08/2023
Class 3 rooming house Occupancy Permit Problem

General Discussion

I don’t think so as the floor area over 300 square meters then it is class 3….

12/07/2023
Soil against brick shed

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

I'm in WA and our sandy soils make drainage a bit easier but this is what I'd be doing. Dig down to your footings and let the wall dry out. Clean it all well by brushing…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!
Home
Pros
Forum