Join Login
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!

Frame exposed to weather for 6 months

Page 2 of 2
Utilitarian
still waiting for the roof and found some mold developing on some studs that are mostly soaked and too much to scoop out, also just commented on Structaflor

cool thanks
Hi I have a similar issue with the bad timber frame.
Our builder left the timber outside for about a year to dry in the sun and get wet in the rain.A lot of timber was blackened with mold. We complained about it to them. They said they don't use bad wood for frame. But when they made the frame of the house, they used a considerable amount of that bad timber. We made an appointment with them for our private inspection of the frame. They had booked a date with our inspector, but suddenly they started putting the plasterboard. We complained to them about it. But they said that it happened because of a miscommunication between them. But they did not stop the plaster boards. We complained about it until the plasterboard was finished. But they didn't care about any of that and ended up plasterboarding. We kept saying and still saying that we want an frame inspection. We know there's a lot of bad timber in there. Currently, the work has been stopped by placing plaster boards. We are still of the opinion that we need a private inspection. Is it good for us to have such an opinion? We have photos of bad timber. There are photos of moldy Timber. We have filed a complaint with Consumer Affairs too. The builder keeps telling us to come to the meeting with them. But we tell them that we want an inspection. If we allow them to proceed without inspecting the frame, can it affect the health of even the children living at home in the future? What other appropriate steps should we take?
Hi mate, happy new year.

I am not sure how to address this. What I did was get a private inspector to look at everything before plastering which gave me piece of mind.

The inspections they get as part of the usual building process dont actually assess the timber etc. For my timber, it was a blue treated timber, there was no mould etc or black marks, it was just bent out of shape which is ok as they straighten it before they continue with the process.

@ashington Homes helped me alot in the process, maybe reach out mate.

Have a great day
Nadeeshani
Hi I have a similar issue with the bad timber frame.
Our builder left the timber outside for about a year to dry in the sun and get wet in the rain.A lot of timber was blackened with mold. We complained about it to them. They said they don't use bad wood for frame. But when they made the frame of the house, they used a considerable amount of that bad timber. We made an appointment with them for our private inspection of the frame. They had booked a date with our inspector, but suddenly they started putting the plasterboard. We complained to them about it. But they said that it happened because of a miscommunication between them. But they did not stop the plaster boards. We complained about it until the plasterboard was finished. But they didn't care about any of that and ended up plasterboarding. We kept saying and still saying that we want an frame inspection. We know there's a lot of bad timber in there. Currently, the work has been stopped by placing plaster boards. We are still of the opinion that we need a private inspection. Is it good for us to have such an opinion? We have photos of bad timber. There are photos of moldy Timber. We have filed a complaint with Consumer Affairs too. The builder keeps telling us to come to the meeting with them. But we tell them that we want an inspection. If we allow them to proceed without inspecting the frame, can it affect the health of even the children living at home in the future? What other appropriate steps should we take?

There was no miscommunication! Its standard practice for volume builders such as Metricon etc. to fix the plaster asap in this situation to cover up any defects and allow the fixing stage invoice to be issued. Suggest you have a meeting on site and you or your inspector spends a good few hours physically checking if ALL the walls, celings and corners are straight within agreed tolerances. If these are not straight the builder will need to remove the plaster boards and straighten the frame then fix new plaster before they can issue the fixing invoice. At this point you may be able to inspect the timber. Mould spores are a health risk and remediation requires them to be physically removed from timber with microfibre cloths and a HEPA filter vacumn cleaner. If not removed, In high humidity they will activate and spread and can damage property as well as respiratory health. Buy your own basic checking equipment and ask the site supervisor to also bring his tools and assist. Take plenty of photos and notes of what he says.
Related
18/04/2024
Hebel + steel frame vs brick+ timber frame

General Discussion

This is 100% true. You can not hang anything on steel frames. very frustrating

9/05/2024
2 months old decking problems

Outdoor Living

Our external decking was only installed 2 months ago, and already moulded, with cracks, and some timber decolorated. The decking is in an exposed area, uncovered in our…

13/01/2024
Poorly finished exposed recycled brick boundary wall.

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

Hi all, My neighbour has built his 15m long garage on our boundary. It was agreed as part of the planning permit that the wall must be in exposed recycled brick. For some…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding Standards; Getting It Right!
Home
Pros
Forum