Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

Screen and secure older timber awning style windows

Page 1 of 1
Hi - we have recently moved into an older house, and i'm hoping to improve the timber awning windows (we have a lot of them). Does anyone have a suggestion on how to screen them with a fly screen? i thought i could retrofit a winder system that sits outside the frame ? I'm not sure what would work best

lukeb0030
Hi - we have recently moved into an older house, and i'm hoping to improve the timber awning windows (we have a lot of them). Does anyone have a suggestion on how to screen them with a fly screen? i thought i could retrofit a winder system that sits outside the frame ? I'm not sure what would work best

You could retrofit winders, but that would limit the opening size and thus limit airflow. Alternatively, if accessing the window latch after screening was your concern, you could install magnetic or retractable screens. The latter would, however, be relatively expensive.
I looked into the retractable screens, they were roughly quoted at $550 per window which is going to be too expensive for ~20 windows
lukeb0030
I looked into the retractable screens, they were roughly quoted at $550 per window which is going to be too expensive for ~20 windows

Magnetic might be better then.
arcadelt
lukeb0030

Magnetic might be better then.

Any flyscreen supplier can fit flyscreens around the chainwinder... so I would go with that. Price say $40-$50 each.

Ed
ECOECO
Any flyscreen supplier can fit flyscreens around the chainwinder... so I would go with that. Price say $40-$50 each.

Yes, but he would have to fit the chain winders too, with additional cost and time expended. The reason I mentioned the solutions I did is because they avoid that.
arcadelt
ECOECO

Yes, but he would have to fit the chain winders too, with additional cost and time expended. The reason I mentioned the solutions I did is because they avoid that.

But your solutions also avoid controlling the sash when it is windy, restricting the opening to comply with AS1288. And with a chainwinder, you can lock the window open or closed.

It is what Luke suggested and I am offering a solution to him.
ECOECO
It is what Luke suggested and I am offering a solution to him.

lukeb0030
I'm not sure what would work best
Related
22/10/2023
Weird older Shower Unit, Does Any one know anything about it

Bathrooms and Laundry

I had an old shower unit that broke on me and when I took it off, there were only 2 water pipes, instead of the normal 2 water pipes and a shower head pipe. S o I…

4/11/2023
How to remove the security screen (A&L windows)?

Windows & Doors

You have no photo with your post. Best I can say is to remove an A&L flyscreen don't be afraid to distort the frame almost like a trapezium. It doesn't take a lot of…

16/07/2023
Aluminium awning window seal has popped out in one corner

Windows & Doors

Thanks mate, this helped a lot. Managed to get it back in.

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum