Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

Let's talk about front door hardware

Page 1 of 1
I'm not sure what to go for, front door wise. I mean, I have the door, it's the bits that secure the door that I'm thinking about now.

So I want one of those long pull handles, like this
And then I will have an electronic door lock/deadbolt under that.
BUT my question is... what about the times when the door is not deadbolted?
EG I go outside to collect the mail or something.

Do I *need* a lever door handle like this?
Or, will one of these be sufficient?
I like the idea of just the roller bolt, but I don't know if that's enough?

What do you have on your front door? Pictures greatly appreciated!!!
That leverset looks terrible.

With the pull handles, get a deadbolt http://www.lockweb.com.au/en/site/lockw ... -deadbolt/

Then get 2 roller latches.

I used 1 roller latch but a large gust of wind would open my 1200mm door.

If the door was 820mm, 1 may be ok, but I'd put one above the lock and one below the lock.

I got my pull handles on ebay, bigger range and much cheaper.

I got a mortise lock last time, but will save my money and get the dead bolt next time. Furthermore, the deadbolt is stronger than mortise.

Hey,

I never said I wanted that lever set

Just wondering if people still use them in conjunction with what I am putting on the door?

I already have my deadbolt thanks, and yes I am getting my door pulls from eBay have already seen one I like for a great price.

My question essentially was :

If using a door pull and a deadbolt, are people putting a lever door latch on as well, or just using the roller catches?

The roller catches don't appear to be as secure to me...

What's everyone else doing?
Definitely get some kind of a lever!!!

My parents just built their house with no lever and it's the worst. In effect you can't close the door without locking it.

We open the doors when we go visit and it's so annoying to have to lock it continually. We had one of the kids run outside once when it wasn't locked.

Hmmmmm. I don't have kids and doubt I would ever have anyone with kids visiting my home... But it's food for thought! I may drive around the new estates a bit next week and take a look at what everyone else has gone with
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/imag ... HfvBWu1swM

How about one of these? Best of both worlds

Ugh! NO, I hate those with a passion! They're the latest rage and on all the display home houses I've looked through in the past year, and I want to smack the person who invented them!
LOL
(sorry, not disparaging you at all, I just am not a fan of those handles!
)
Related
31/01/2024
Front door issues

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

AS2047 Section 6 Page 31 speaks to Construction/Tolerances of Windows and external glazed doors in buildings Check also New South Wales Guide to Standards and Tolerances,…

26/04/2024
Pivot door vs. hinged door?

Windows & Doors

920 was enough to get the furniture in. We live in a pretty safe area and it’s great to see people walking to the front door. We’re not too fussed about people…

14/06/2023
Gooseneck tap in front of kitchen window

Kitchen Corner

that will depend on the kitchen bench depth. you'll have to specify it so it allows for both the tap and the sink

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum