Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

Which Windows

Page 1 of 1
Which windows would be more secure: Awning or Sliding?
We didn't even think about difference between these two until we saw awning windows on one of the display homes.

I know that awning will be better for rainy days as it seals better that sliding but what about other features?
And also is there a difference in price between the two? Which one is more expensive?

Would you use awing windows throughout the whole house or just go with standard sliding windows?
According to design regs, awning windows provide more ventilation than a sliding window of comparative size, so they are good to use on a wall which you need to provide ventilation for but want to reduce the amount of glass.
AubinGroveFan
Which windows would be more secure: Awning or Sliding?
We didn't even think about difference between these two until we saw awning windows on one of the display homes.

I know that awning will be better for rainy days as it seals better that sliding but what about other features?
And also is there a difference in price between the two? Which one is more expensive?

Would you use awing windows throughout the whole house or just go with standard sliding windows?

Awnings are more secure because sliding windows can be levered out of the track, plus the locking catches on sliding windows are not as secure as a chainwinder. But real security only comes with laminated glass and silicone glazing which anchors the glass into the frame, and resists penetration through breakage.

Awnings are generally more expensive by about 30%, but you will find a greater difference between manufacturers prices for awning windows than you will find between sliding and awning, so get a few quotes.

Sliding windows don't seal very well because they need a series of holes to connect the track to the outside to drain the rainwater. These holes allow air to pass through too.

Same goes for casements as awnings...

Thanks
Ed
I can't see how awning windows get any air or breeze through them at all. They just look bad for ventilation to me. Yet they are very popular. Am I missing something. We are getting a combination of double glazed double hung and casement. Being able to get breezes through the house is really important to us.
TomCat
I can't see how awning windows get any air or breeze through them at all. They just look bad for ventilation to me. Yet they are very popular. Am I missing something. We are getting a combination of double glazed double hung and casement. Being able to get breezes through the house is really important to us.

The best ventilation is the result of pressure differences coupled with openings on the leeward and windward sides. The shape and position of the opening is irrelevant. So an awning, or casement, or slider with the same size opening will have the same level of ventilation as far as breezes are concerned. Ventilation via convection is the same except with openings at the floor and ceiling you get the greater effect. As an example think about a draughty door or window where you can't see light, this indicates a convoluted route for the air to travel, yet the air has no trouble finding its way to make you feel the draught.

In even the slightest breeze, the windward side gets positive pressure and the leeward side gets negative pressure by virtue of the Venturi affect. Thus air is both blown and sucked through the house.

IMO, the most practical window is the awning, because it's easiest to screen and it won't let rain in if left open. Casements look good open or closed.

Ed
That's interesting Ed. What you say about air pressure sounds theoretically valid but in the houses I've lived in with awning windows I've never experienced breeze through-flows as I have with wide-open windows like slides, casements or even louvres. Maybe because of other factors like lack of adjacent exit points (cross ventilation).

I've always thought awnings were a cheap window
Oops accidentally hit send. Well I've just found out now I'm building that they aren't 'cheap' - sliding is cheaper. Though cost wasn't the decider for us. It's nice to be able to pass things through windows and I have found it easier to stick my head out to yell at the dog etc when needed
TomCat
Oops accidentally hit send. Well I've just found out now I'm building that they aren't 'cheap' - sliding is cheaper. Though cost wasn't the decider for us. It's nice to be able to pass things through windows and I have found it easier to stick my head out to yell at the dog etc when needed

Most windows have flyscreens so it rules out passing stuff through, but you can shout at your dog through any window, but he will have trouble "shouting" back when you have double glazing.

In order of cost lowest to highest (single or double glazed),

Ed
Related
29/09/2023
Timber or carpet on first floor- which looks good ?

General Discussion

Thank you. Do I use timber floorboards for stairs or do people use timber treads? Or is both the same?

26/10/2023
Which glass for stacker doors

Windows & Doors

What do you need them to withstand? If it's normal wear and tear, then either will do, if you want resistance to ingress then laminated would be the favourite, but only…

21/12/2023
Which chrome tapwares in Myhomeware northrocks Sydney

Bathrooms and Laundry

Which chrome tapwares is a good affordable brand with a good warranty in Myhomeware shop Sydney. I visited the shop and they…

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum