Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

Fly screens

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone
Called up a couple of places for fly screens for windows and the diamond type sliding door mesh..
The quotes came to about $32 -$68 for a flyscreen- trying to fit 10 flyscreen.
N $380-$495 for the diamond secuirty door-fitting just one sliding door.

Does the "lower end" of the price means its going sacrifice quality? or the "higher end" is ripping off poor-green-&naive-first-time-home-owner like me?

It is just the regular mesh and nothing fancy or anything, what do you think?

Thank you for reading
identical materials - take the lower price...
I'd say the costing was based upon the quality of the materials used. In the case of flyscreens the word "flimsy" comes to mind when it comes to describing quality.

If I was to make the choice I'd put the flimsy ones on the windows that I would rarely open and stick with good quality ones on the other ones.

In my current place the kitchen window is almost always open as is my bedroom window. This means that a couple of times a year I have to take these down and clean/scrub them whereas with the others just a dust sorts them out.
Sorry I was not clear - they are identical materials probably from the same local material suppliers... check some screens they have in their factory then buy the cheapest.

Ed
we organised our own flyscreens as opposed to those of the builder. ended up being $50 dearer by organising ourselves. ours were welded joins as opposed to the other method they use (rivets??) A mate of mine building with same company got them to organise the fly screens and his are so flimsy compared to ours which are solid as.
Thank you for the tips n suggestions
I think I will take up that idea and see their factory/showroom to see what I am getting..

Thanks a lot for the help
I hope I am not butting in to your thread laur3n. (seems like you have your answer now). We are facing this dilemma of whether or not to use the contractor that the builder supplies to supply and fit the flyscreens or should we get a better quality installer after handover. Taking into account what ed said about the most used windows, I wonder if I should get have them done after. I have a relative that works for a large quality door/window company (not yours ed) and he said that he is constantly re doing jobs that are done by contractors because the home owner finds that the screens rattle and are flimsy. Can anyone shed more light on this please? I don't want to have to do them all again. What is the average price for the screens. I worked out on average $34 for the amount of windows and the cost charged by the builder. My relo says that about $50 rough average for a window would be the going rate? We have 19 windows...
mine were $471 for 13 windows and $749 for 4 sliding doors (Nthn NSW). all were welded for corrosion resistance and powdercoated to match window frames. as i said earlier we got ours made/fitted after handover (day after
) and ended up about $50 dearer then what our builder quoted.
I didn't know flyscreen frames could be powdercoated ! where cna you get this done ??
Southies
I didn't know flyscreen frames could be powdercoated ! where cna you get this done ??

Southies, just like the windows themselves, powder coated fly screens are really the norm now. Just so that they blend in with the colour of the windows and look "nicer".
There are 2 types of aluminium fly screen frame, rolled and extruded - they perform about the same, both are powdercoated. These are fixed together with corner stakes which can be flexible plastic or metal. Flyscreens for some windows need to be flexible to be able to spring into the groove. Most of the materials come form very few sources.

Standard mesh is fibreglass - but also available is stainless steel and bronze mesh.

Prices for standard mesh can be between $25 and $40 fitted (depending where you live). More for stainless and a lot more for bronze (required for high fire risk).

Ed
**Phoenix**
Southies

Southies, just like the windows themselves, powder coated fly screens are really the norm now. Just so that they blend in with the colour of the windows and look "nicer".

Thanks Nicloa, that's fantastic. Haven't had anything to do with flyscreens since we made them ourselves 20 years ago. At that time we were young & poor, so bought all the supplies from BBC & made them ourselves - no real colour choices back then either.
Bobcat
we organised our own flyscreens as opposed to those of the builder. ended up being $50 dearer by organising ourselves. ours were welded joins as opposed to the other method they use (rivets??) A mate of mine building with same company got them to organise the fly screens and his are so flimsy compared to ours which are solid as.

Hi Bobcat,

Are you in Sydney? Sorry, not sure where "up there" is...

I was about to start a thread like this as I really don't know what to do. Our builder has quoted us $30 per fly screen but I don't know if this is a good price and I don't know who their contractor/manufacture is. I know they use Trend windows but doubt they will come from them...

I wonder if it will be better to do them after handover, anyone knows of good suppliers/installers of flyscreens in Sydney?

Thanks
Related
22/12/2023
How to fit mesh fly screen while shutters in place

Windows & Doors

Hello everyone Please advice me how can I install mesh security window or we cab say mesh flyscreen inside while the pvc plantation shutters are already installed? Is…

13/02/2024
Safety screens! Worth them?

Safer Living

Hi everyone. I am a single mother with little daughter, living in a small tourist town in WA Australia. I am thinking to install security screens to all the doors and…

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum