Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

Australian Standard - Installation of Toilet/Bathroom Doors

Page 2 of 2
Southies
kek
The point is, you shouldn't HAVE a gap. They ought to have used a deeper piece of timber to cover the gap on the outside of the door, so there's still space on the inside to lift the door up enough to release the hinge. Leaving a gap is just lazy.

Yep, that's what I thought
Another 'oh well' moment

Southies, your hubby ought to be able to add an extra piece of timber on the outside, fill it and paint it to match, and nobody would ever know. There's actually a height difference between the doorway of our toilet and the other rooms, but I never noticed until today. It's about 15mm, I'd say.
buildingwithhamra
I dont have lift off hinges or a door that opens inwards, but I am not complaining, how many people a year collapse in toilets anyway.

Quite a few actually - thats why the requirement was brought in in the first place

Cardiac incidents in the toilet when doing no 2's are more common than you might think.
kek
Southies, your hubby ought to be able to add an extra piece of timber on the outside, fill it and paint it to match, and nobody would ever know. There's actually a height difference between the doorway of our toilet and the other rooms, but I never noticed until today. It's about 15mm, I'd say.

Yes kek, that would be one option but I think he's so over workign on the house that it's not even on his radar
Helyn

Cardiac incidents in the toilet when doing no 2's are more common than you might think.

Helyn
buildingwithhamra
I dont have lift off hinges or a door that opens inwards, but I am not complaining, how many people a year collapse in toilets anyway.

Quite a few actually - thats why the requirement was brought in in the first place

And if you think about it, where do you run to when you feel sick? And isn't there an increased chance of losing consciousness when sick? Not something you want to do in a confined space.

Southies
kek

Yes kek, that would be one option but I think he's so over working on the house that it's not even on his radar

Sounds like my hubby, Southies.
He did so much when we moved into our first house... but he keeps telling me he's not 24 any more....
kek
Southies
Casa2
OK, the facts. If you have less than 1200 mm from the toilet pan to the hinge of the door then you need lift off hinges. If there is alternative access to the room, such as a window then you don't need the lift off hinges.

So in fact we didn't need a lift-off door (with a gap at the top)
because we have a window in the toilet & access is via the balcony
twits

I dunno Southies... the Building Code doesn't mention any exemptions for windows/no windows.
Our window is big enough to get through, but you'd have to break the chain thingie on the winder mechanism and cut through the flyscreen - that could take minutes that make a difference in an emergency.

The point is, you shouldn't HAVE a gap. They ought to have used a deeper piece of timber to cover the gap on the outside of the door, so there's still space on the inside to lift the door up enough to release the hinge. Leaving a gap is just lazy.

OK, you've forced me to pull out my copy of the Building Code of Australia. Yes, this applies in all states. I quote:

3.8.3.3 Construction of sanitary compartments

The door to a fully enclosed sanitary compartment must-
(a) open outwards; or
(b) Slide; or
(c) be readily removable from the outside of the compartment,

unless there is a clear space of at least 1.2 m, measured in accordance with Figure 3.8.3.3, between the closet pan within the sanitary compartment and the dorrway.

<Figuere 3.8.3.3 basically shows that you measure from the hinge out to the closet pan, not from the entire door opening as is commonly misunderstood.>

Explanatory information:

3.8.3.3 requires means of removing an unconscious occupant from a fully enclosed sanitary compartment. If the enclosure has gaps that are large enough to allow access for a person into the sanitary compartment, the compartment is not considerd enclosed for the purpose of this clause.

So, if you can get into the toilet or bathroom by some other means (for example, a window) then you don't need ugly lift off hinges and a gap from the top of the door to the door frame.
Casa2
So, if you can get into the toilet or bathroom by some other means (for example, a window) then you don't need ugly lift off hinges and a gap from the top of the door to the door frame.

Which is clearly our situation ! So .........as I said before, we didn't need that lift-off door after all let alone the gap at the top
Did I also call them twits ??

Actually, I might just bring up this issue with our Maintenance Officer
Will see if DH wants to deal with it, since I'm over Eden Brae
Casa2
then you don't need ugly lift off hinges and a gap from the top of the door to the door frame.

The fascination with the toilet door hinge is fascinating....can't say I've ever had a "colorbond moment" when looking at my hinges whilst sitting on the bog....lift off or otherwise...maybe I read good books.
Related
27/07/2023
Adding a toilet/wash room to small house

General Discussion

Hey, I am wanting to add a second toilet to my house, bit we have limited room. There is a hallway/entry that is never used, so was thinking this could be an option. Only…

22/01/2024
Builder connecting our new toilet for his trades

Bathrooms and Laundry

"Losers" "humanity" "off time" "your" "top notch" "love symbol" Sounds like ponzo is done using other people's toilets

16/04/2024
Top Floor Toilet Recurrently Blocking

Bathrooms and Laundry

I have a toilet that blocks up on the top (2nd) floor of a property. The toilets on the 1st and ground floor are OK) Blockage clears when the using a plunger. But…

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum