Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

Where to put entry to ensuite

Page 1 of 1
We are having trouble deciding where to have our ensuite door.

Option 1 (orange) is straight off off the bedroom
Advantage - easy to get to
Disadvantage - noise, I often get up early or come in late and my wife is a very light sleeper who doesn't like any noise
There will be a door to the bathroom.

Option 2 (white) is though the WIR
Advantage - noise isolation between bedroom and bathroom
Disadvantage - Bathroom feels very disconnected. Have to walk around and through long WIR to get there. If anyone else needs to get in they have to go through our WIR
My wife favors this option, but to me it just doesn't look right

With either option we will be having a door to the bathroom

Will appreciate any input. Thanks

I had a similar situation and went with Option 2. If you take Option 2, you may want to add sound insulation on the green wall. Due to my peculiar layout I also chose to have a cavity slider to enter the WIR and a regular door into the ensuite. You are correct in saying that this option does not look right, but it helps if 'sound' is a peeve. Yes it will be odd for a tradie to navigate through the WIR to fix something in the ensuite...but then how frequent will that be?

Looks like in Option 2, you get a smaller WC though.

In Option 1 : is there a window in the shower area? What type of door are you planning for entry into the ensuite? A slider is very poor to contain sound.
I prefer option 1. Option 2 I think the walk is just too long, it doesn't feel right. I'd just put a solid swinging door on option 1. That said, I do prefer the WIR entrance to be near the ensuite, not necessarily attached but not miles apart. So I'd try to get the opening at the ensuite end.
I like the orange option, whichever that is - 1 or 2. I think the layout of the ensuite in the other bathroom is a bit clunky or something. I would just put a door on the ensuite, maybe a sliding door. Any door is better than nothing and a cavity slider will look better when it's open.
Orange + make a door to WIR at other end.
Option 2 is perfect, but even if you opt for option 1 you can insulate the room for sound by ensuring a solid core door is fitted, using seals around the door, sound insulate the wall and use "Soundchek" plasterboard.
brokenstick
We are having trouble deciding where to have our ensuite door.

Option 1 (orange) is straight off off the bedroom
Advantage - easy to get to
Disadvantage - noise, I often get up early or come in late and my wife is a very light sleeper who doesn't like any noise

Option 2 (white) is though the WIR
Advantage - noise isolation between bedroom and bathroom
Disadvantage - Bathroom feels very disconnected. Have to walk around and through long WIR to get there. If anyone else needs to get in they have to go through our WIR
My wife favors this option, but to me it just doesn't look right

With either option we will be having a door to the bathroom

Will appreciate any input. Thanks

Option 2 looks better, but if your wife doesn’t like noise then 1 is the better option. Put a solid hinged door on the bathroom and soundscreen insulation in the wall.
The WC isn’t big enough though, too squishy to close the door when inside it. Perhaps move the vanity next to the door and have the WC the way it is in option 2. You can have a high window above the vanity so there is room for a mirror.

Thanks for the replies and input - some good ideas and things to think about !
Related
10/03/2024
Fittting Lower Ground entry door/landing in 2200mm of FFL

Renovation + Home Improvement

I am looking to design an entry door to a lower ground basement that has 2200mm between the external entry height to FFL of the ground floor. This door will provide an…

1/03/2024
Is it possible to put granite on top of tile?

General Discussion

ley me know if anybody know about this

14/04/2024
Anyone recently put in a new shower with bench seat?

Bathrooms and Laundry

I’m loving the potential versatility and practicality of a bench seat in a shower. Anyone had one of these done recently? Not sure if they are straight forward and easy…

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum