Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

Bathroom Traps

Page 1 of 1
Hi H1,

My build is currently progressing with plumbing having just completed in the last week. I've noticed that the baths and vanities upstairs don't seem to have their own dedicated traps (I'm looking up at the ceiling on the ground floor). I can see that the shower and bathroom floor contains a trap and I imagine the toilet wouldn't require one (since it would have one built in).

It looks like the plumbing for the vanities and bath is joined to the plumbing for the bathroom floor. It connects to the bathroom floor plumbing just above the bend/trap so I imagine what they're trying to do here is to use a single trap for the vanities, bath and bathroom floor. The vanities are floating type vanities. I'm not too familiar with floating vanities - I would think they go straight to the walls and won't have their own traps like what a standing vanity would ordinarily have inside the cupboards. I have a couple of questions:

1) Is it ok for the bath and vanities to have a trap that's not directly under the drains and have to travel laterally for a short distance to a trap?
2) Is it ok for to have a single trap be using in lieu of individual ones? I imagine the effect will be the same whether there is 1 or 3 but not sure if there are disadvantages of having a trap configured in this manner.

Thanks
Sydneysider
Normally the traps are directly under the basin even with floating vanities.

If the underside of the basin is exposed a compact chrome trap is often preferred like the ones at this link; http://www.nameeks.com/search/P-Traps/

Another acceptable way would be to connect a 2nd basin to a common riser from a remote trap. The following link shows a connection of a single basin with a remote trap.
http://jasonesposito.com/installing-an-ikea-vanity-and-sink/
Related
8/09/2023
Can you cover up a window in a bathroom ?

Bathrooms and Laundry

No probs, thanks for the reply...

24/07/2023
Bathroom/Laundry Combo

Bathrooms and Laundry

Hey all, Hoping for some inspiration for my bathroom laundry combo. The tiles are in good condition, as is the bathtub. I’ve given it a coat of white paint and added…

2/08/2023
Ramping Carpet Up To Bathroom Level

General Discussion

they can, it's a fairly standard solution when the slab isn't recessed. the falls need to be in the main floor, if it hasn't been done then you need to ask them to redo…

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum