Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

Toilet leak from somewhere - help!?!?!?!

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

I am wondering if someone here has had the same issue we're having with our toilet. 2 different plumbers have looked at it and neither of them seem to know what's causing the issue.

Our toilet has a side fitting waste pipe, but there is something leaking from under the toilet base. The toilet sits on a tiled floor and you can clearly see the moisture in the grout that runs out from under the toilet. Both plumbers and me have checked all the fittings and can't find a leak anywhere and there is no condensation on the outside of the toilet. I added some toilet blue to see if that would show if it was clean or waste water and there is no colourisation in the moisture in the grout, so I can only assume it's clean water.

The first plumber said there was no leak from the toilet itself and that "the water's coming from somewhere else".

The second plumber said he was "pretty sure" it wasn't the toilet leaking, but couldn't tell us where the water was coming from either.

I would really appreciate any ideas.

Cheers

Brad

I have some photos, but I'm not sure how to upload them.
have you got photos?, Also consider buying a moisture tester this may help locate where the mostiure is coming from. Do you also happen to have a shower in the same room?
I hope this works.

Forgot to add, yes there is a shower in this bathroom, but it's at the opposite end of the room to the toilet.
if you dont use it. ie dont flush the toilet does it dry up?
B STAR, thanks for your help.

It makes no difference, whether we use it or not, the moisture is still there in the grout. We stopped using it for a few days, but the moisture was still there.

The second plumber said there must be a leaking pipe or another source of water from somewhere, but when we asked what it could be he said he had no idea.

A colleague at work said it could be a fine crack in the bowl itself and there is a very slow leak, but I would've expected to see the colour change in the moisture in the grout seeing as I added some toilet blue. I am totally stumped by this.
i had gone through something similar so I understand your pain. In my case I was getting an odour. It turned out that the pipe at the back of the toilet wasnt a perfect round. It was oval.

It took me years to solve this. I would try a new toilet if it it is not too expensive.
Hi. Do you have a young boy in your household? Not meaning to cause offence. We too thought we had a similar situation & it went on for many many weeks. We nearly replaced our toilet! We then realised our boy was indeed missing the target occassionally & although we were cleaning the visible splashes we did not properly attend to the drips going down the back, which I thought was impossible. Anyway its something to consider if it is a plausible situation.

Here is an idea.why not start process of eliminating. Turn the water off to the toilet push the button drain the water out of the cistern leave it a day an see if wet or not. If its dry then its toilet if its still wet after isolation of water to it then its a leaking pipe easy hey
We had the same problem with the new bathroom reno.
Turned out to be a leak from the toilet itself. Even had carbon dioxide put the through the lines to look for leaks.
Why would you use carbon dioxide for?
Related
7/09/2023
Leak in wall new house

General Discussion

If you make sure all taps inside and out are turned off, what does the water meter show if you leave it for a while.

8/10/2023
Bathroom Leak

General Discussion

Hi all, I am hoping someone has some ideas as to what is causing my bathroom leak. The leaking appears to mainly happen when we turn the sink basins on. It takes a while…

9/01/2024
Leak through concrete after putting frames up

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Are you doing this with a building permit? Conversion of a non habitable room into a habitable room requires building permit.

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum