Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

Removing tile glue

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has tips on how to get the tile adhesive off plaster walls so that its smooth enough to re-tile?

I had fun with a little jack hammer

Thanks in advance.
If it is an old bathroom the tiles generally are small and were fixed with thin bed adhesive.
If retiling with large tiles, just use a wide notched trowel over the ribs of the old adhesive (assuming they are less than 2mm high.
However don't forget to install a new waterproof membrane to present day standards.
Lots of elbow grease , a hammer, an old wood chisel, paint scrapers and whatever else you can use to remove it. Some old glues really do stick very well and you should aim to remove as much of it as possible so the new glue has a good chance of bonding well to both plaster wall and tile.

Stewie
Quote:
and whatever else you can use to remove it.

Don't do this at home, but I have found my old belt sander with a 40 grit belt is quite effective.
Stewie D
Lots of elbow grease , a hammer, an old wood chisel, paint scrapers and whatever else you can use to remove it. Some old glues really do stick very well and you should aim to remove as much of it as possible so the new glue has a good chance of bonding well to both plaster wall and tile.

Stewie
Beetaloo
If it is an old bathroom the tiles generally are small and were fixed with thin bed adhesive.
If retiling with large tiles, just use a wide notched trowel over the ribs of the old adhesive (assuming they are less than 2mm high.
However don't forget to install a new waterproof membrane to present day standards.

Perfect will give that a shot.... maybe not the belt sander

The bathroom tiles are not that old ~15yrs
Beetaloo
If retiling with large tiles, just use a wide notched trowel over the ribs of the old adhesive (assuming they are less than 2mm high. buy phen375 http://ohdivinehealth.com/phen375-reviews/

changing tiles is really exhausting. we recently changed ours for about three months if i am not mistaken. we actually did what you suggested just exactly what you advised and it make the tile easily attached on the wall without any marks or stains at all. i thinkan appropriate use of adhesive is really a big thing.
Related
26/02/2024
Timber to concrete glue or screws?

General Discussion

Sam There is a much stronger glue than liquid nails. It's called T Rex and will stick your timber to the concrete. Cheers Simeon

28/07/2023
Removing items from contract

Building A New House

The best advice is for you to get a competent building consultant to guide you through your build

2/05/2024
Removing rust from steel i beams

General Discussion

thanks, yes they are dry , thats a good idea with fish oil as sanding will be hard

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum