Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

Tight fit on laundry tub; builder balking -help!

Page 1 of 1
Our factory build is under way at long last, but we've had an odd issue with the builder. I am finding it difficult to negotiate a solution, since I am in California and the factory is in Melbourne. I'm hoping an experienced cabinetry installer or bathroom/kitchen reno firm out there can give me some insight?

The laundry tub was specified as a Clark 45L Flushline 'compact configuration' stainless steel tub, edge to edge dimensions of
480 x 640 mm (the tub itself being, of course, rather smaller). The compact configuration means that the bigger dimension (640mm) running front to back on the bench. Its to be mounted through a laminate benchtop into a cabinet that is 570 x 700mm (internal measurements of 538 x 670).

The builder is insisting that the cabinet is too small, and wants to substitute the MUCH smaller Clark 30L. The builder's in-house design team specified the cabinet size and drew up the plans after I picked the sink. The current reason (this is rationale #3) for the too-smallness is that the installer "can't get his hands inside the narrow spaces left over inside the cabinet to fasten the sink clips".

Can someone who has installed a stainless sink like this share? Because it seems like (a) the cabinet is just big enough (although maybe maybe 750mm deep would have been better) and (b) if there really isn't a tool to tighten the clips with, couldn't they just install the sink before they put the bench on top of the cabinets? Wouldn't work with stone or a porcelain tub, maybe, but stainless and laminate...? (Remembering always that this is a factory build, so they don't need to run hither thither and yon to find tools or trades.)

I'd run over there with my cordless screw driver and a magnetic extension bit, but the $3000 for airfare makes it prohibitive. I've just now fallen back on digging my heels in, and telling them to figure it out.

So --is the cabinet big enough? If not, isn't the builder responsible for coming up with a solution acceptable to me, or at least a reasonable compromise?
I think the builder is right.

I doubt its about the clips, you just silicone it down and it would never move.

I think there would be an issue with the size of the sink as you may have to cut the carcass/frame of the kitchen to make it fit.

You'll fit a 600mm (front to back) sink no problem.

Either rotate the existing sink or get a smaller one.
I found my answer here on Homeone! I convinced the builder to substitute an Oliveri 45l tub that has a slightly smaller footprint.
Related
22/12/2023
How to fit mesh fly screen while shutters in place

Windows & Doors

Hello everyone Please advice me how can I install mesh security window or we cab say mesh flyscreen inside while the pvc plantation shutters are already installed? Is…

6/03/2024
How would you fit 2 showers and toilets in this space?

Bathrooms and Laundry

This is the current bathroom with a european laundry. Overall internal dimensions are 3.69 wide and 3.65m deep, including the footprint of the laundry. There is a toilet…

25/03/2024
Job sequences in fixing and fit-off stage

Building A New House

Thanks for much mate. I see that you do cabinets before flooring. For timber flooring, for most parts it's fine because it's got base plates, and for door jabs you can…

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum