Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

For those of you with above counter sinks...

Page 1 of 1
... What is your finished bench height?

We have been told that as we have chosen above counter sinks that our bench height will be a little lower than the standard height (whatever that is!) so I'm curious to know what your bench height is so I can compare against what we have on our current home. I'm worried the bench will seem too low.

Thanks
We only have an above bench basin in the powder room and the finished height of the cabinet is 80cm and to the top of the bowl it's 96cm.
We got our kitchen benches raised to 940mm from the standard 900mm, because we are both 6ft tall and prefer not to be bending over as much. We then got above counter sinks in the bathrooms, but nobody mentioned that the counter top would be slightly lower because of it. it's not a big deal, but I would like to have got them higher if I'd known. My in-laws recently renovated their ensuite, and as they are also both above 6ft tall they got the counter top at 900mm with the above counter sink above that so it's nice and tall. They should be able to put them at any height you want really, they just make the kickboards bigger or smaller.
Thanks guys. I suppose I panicked a little as we have the tap fittings already in place for the wall mixer taps so we couldn't move the height up or down. Went down to meet the cabinetmaker today to measure it all up. The top of the basins will sit at 900mm high and the bench at 800mm which I think is fine.

For some reason I imagined the bench sitting as low as 700mm and panicked

All good now
Yeah 900mm is the standard, I'm so glad we asked for 940mm on the kitchen though!
HomeAngels
... What is your finished bench height?

We have been told that as we have chosen above counter sinks that our bench height will be a little lower than the standard height (whatever that is!) so I'm curious to know what your bench height is so I can compare against what we have on our current home. I'm worried the bench will seem too low.

Thanks

Yes this is correct.

Standard vanity height with a recessed bowl is 870 - 900mm.

With a top mount bowl the bench height should be around 800 - 850 depending on the size of the bowl. If its any higher then the top lip of the bowl is way to high making the taps to high and making it look all out of proportion!
Related
12/01/2024
Two sinks? Seeking advice with scullery/kitchen layout

Kitchen Corner

Hi, We're building a double-storey in Perth and I'm undecided with the kitchen sink situation. I'm set on having the main sink with dishwasher in the scullery - and…

8/02/2024
Survey for those who built recently, building now or soon

Building A New House

https://form.jotform.com/240284569218058 Please spare a moment to fill out this survey form for a project. You stand a chance to win a digital gift voucher. Legitimate…

14/06/2023
Brick movement above damp proof course

General Discussion

Have look at your house plans and you will probably find that brick articulation joint has been missed. Maximum allowable spacing is 6M or 5.5M for a wall with window…

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum