Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

Hidden Laundries

Page 1 of 1
Hi, I'm new here (not sure if there's anywhere to introduce myself)...

We're about to commence building a shed (will be liveable). Anyway....space will be a bit restricted and I'm thinking we need to intergrate the laundry into the kitchen or bathroom, or maybe down a hallway?

Does anyone have any examples/photos of what works...and tips about what doesn't. My husband is content to just put the machine outside

Thanks

Tam
What do you really need from your laundry? Do you need a dryer too? If so would a combo dryer/washer unit be worth it?

Do you just need a space for a washing machine? If that's the case why not just shove one under the bench like they do in kitchens in the UK?

Washing machine and dryer behind the two large doors below bench.
Our laundry at our previous place fit into a standard linen cupboard (perhaps a bit wider though to fit the washer in!) and it was fine. It sat in the hallway and you walk right past it none the wiser. We were in an apartment so space is tight!.
Google hidden laundry or laundry room.
Or try this-

http://www.houzz.com/hidden-laundry-center

4,773 great photo ideas there.
I've stayed in a few holiday apartments that have had the laundry in a cupboard similar to the first picture. No problems with it at all - in fact quite a good space saving idea.

Only minor issues

- think about where you'll keep items like your vacuum cleaner, mops, broomes, ironing boards etc.
- make sure you have ventilation in the cupboard, so when the dryer's going the moisture can escape somewhere.
elemist
I've stayed in a few holiday apartments that have had the laundry in a cupboard similar to the first picture. No problems with it at all - in fact quite a good space saving idea.

Only minor issues

- think about where you'll keep items like your vacuum cleaner, mops, broomes, ironing boards etc.
- make sure you have ventilation in the cupboard, so when the dryer's going the moisture can escape somewhere.

Good points.
Lived in the UK for 4 years where laundries are not very common at all. Had a combined washer/drier mounted under the kitchen bench next to the dishwasher. No pics, as it just looked like another cupboard door.

Must admit wasn't a big fan, probably because being Aussie I was used to having a laundry. No dramas with storage though, as had a huge linen cupboard in the hallway, and plenty of room in the bathrooms for a dirty clothes basket.

Now I was renting so it wasn't an issue for me, but the washer broke down and had to be replaced. Due to different clearance etc it meant a bit of buggerising with the kitchen doors to get it to all fit and work properly.
Related
You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum