Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

IXL Heater/Fan/Light worth getting?

Page 1 of 1
Hey guys

Getting a house built.. It has ducted heating but we are not getting heat ducts in the bathroom by builder

1) Is it not allowed?

2) He has said if we want he can install IXL 4 Heater / Fan / Light fixture.. Are these things worth it?

3) Quoted $310 per bathroom.. Is that allright??

4) Or get it done after build? More headache and costs involved??

Ta
IMO I think these are only really effective if you have a low ceiling in the bathroom See http://www.anewhouse.com.au/?p=1432 for more details.
its
Hey guys

Getting a house built.. It has ducted heating but we are not getting heat ducts in the bathroom by builder

1) Is it not allowed?

2) He has said if we want he can install IXL 4 Heater / Fan / Light fixture.. Are these things worth it?

Ta

Answers:
1) No idea, could vary from state to state.
2) Yes, we have two at our house and they work a treat. Ours are a Lucci brand from Beacon Lighting.
3) During or after the build for this price? Does it include the supply of the unit?
4) Get it done during the build. Reason is you need extra wiring to the wall switch and if you have brick walls with no conduits installed (like our place) you'll make quite a mess and then have to repatch and repaint the wall. Alternatively, have the extra wires installed during the build if you want to do it later.
E1109
its
Hey guys

1) Is it not allowed?

Ta

Answers:
1) No idea, could vary from state to state.
2) Yes, we have two at our house and they work a treat. Ours are a Lucci brand from Beacon Lighting.
3) During or after the build for this price? Does it include the supply of the unit?
4) Get it done during the build. Reason is you need extra wiring to the wall switch and if you have brick walls with no conduits installed (like our place) you'll make quite a mess and then have to repatch and repaint the wall. Alternatively, have the extra wires installed during the build if you want to do it later.

During build price including the cost of the unit and install..

Thanks guys.. talking to some ppl, it seems to be a nice idea..

Still thinking to be done during or after build if at all
Just got to know that the brand is Crompton..
Is ducted heating not allowed in bathrooms? I've seen it but I can't say if rules are different in other places. Ask the builder.
If your still thinking about whether to have an IXL at all, how are you thinking to extract the steam if you don't?
Btw where are you, what's your climate like?
We have been quoted $900 each for ixl tastics for our build. I have seen them online for even more. I think they're definitely worth it but I am from freezing cold canberra!!!
In Melbourne.. cold enough.. They for some reason not giving ducted heating in bathroom.. maybe cause moisture gets in or something???

wow $900 for IXL?? Even if Crompton is a cheaper brand (can see the unit for $160 odd online) .. probably $310 is a ok price for getting it done during build??
I'm in Melbourne, and I requested that the builder put in extra ducted heating vents into 2 bathrooms. They did and it's not an issue, just not 'standard', but would depend on the builder and house design.

I'm not a fan of the IXL combos. The fan is in the wrong place (middle of the room) unless you have a separate fan directly above the shower recess where it is needed. The heat lamps tend to just warm the tops of your head (if you have high ceilings!) and the lights are never bright enough (or in the right place above a mirror for doing make-up), unless you get separate lights as well.

There should be no reason why you can't get ducted heating in your bathrooms. You may have to upgrade the system to a more powerful one that can take extra piping/ducting (we didn't have to ). I'd be finding out why they don't want to put ducted heating in the bathroom. Maybe it's in the too hard basket for them? It shouldn't be an issue... it's just a hole in the ceiling (assuming it's not under the floor) with piping attached to it that blows out hot air!

EDIT: I just read Bashworth's link...exactly the same reasons why I'm not a fan...(no pun intended).
I'm still wandering how you plan to extract the steam?
JazzyJess
I'm still wandering how you plan to extract the steam?

Maybe a fan that is not part of a 3 in 1!
I'd assume that the builder will stick in a regular exhaust fan to suck out steam if the OP doesn't go for an three-in-one.

I have a house which has a heating vent in the bathroom but that's probably because they actually run out of rooms to stick all the vents in (it's two bedrooms). The house I actually live in doesn't have vents into the bathrooms but I prefer it that way so I'm not heating a room which you're not using. And besides, the steam from the shower heats the bathroom up a bit. I actually got some IXL Tastics yesterday from the distributors warehouse sale, to give a bit of instant on/off warmth.
rodericb
I'd assume that the builder will stick in a regular exhaust fan to suck out steam if the OP doesn't go for an three-in-one.

Didn't think of that. Someone I know rented a house with nothing at all.
have to agree with a Stormy a little. We have the 4 light eco ixl fan light heater. It's in the middle of the ensuite which is large. We also have a downlight near the sink/mirror. The fan part is too far from the shower to help extract steam. we keep getting a buildup of steam sitting on the ceiling which then molds. We don;t seem to get the same issue in the main bathroom though which has the same set up and is also a large room. Perhaps because hubby and I both shower in the morning where as our children shower evening and morning( different times) I do wish we had a separate extractor fan now nearer the actual shower.
Thanks everyone.. after a bit of thought we are getting IXL system put in the bathroom.. we do have an additional regular exhaust in the bathroom as well..
I had ducted heating vent and a/c vent installed in our bathroom when we built. THe cost of an extra outlet would be considerably cheaper than installing a Tastic. In fact the builder didnt charge us any extra. Also not to mention the savings on running costs. I have always been told the Tastics use heaps of electricity.
Related
12/04/2024
combining the ceiling fan switch, light switch, dimmer switc

Building A New House

Any electricians here please help. 1) Will the Fan need separate switch to ON/OFF/Speed eventhough it comes with Remote 2) how about…

24/12/2023
Seeking feedback: Exhaust fan for home office

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

My home office is hot with computer equipment running virtually 18 hours a day. When it gets unbearably warm I simply step out of my door into the living area which is…

18/01/2024
Do I need an electrician to remove this wall heater?

General Discussion

Just wondering if this is hardwired or can I remove it myself?

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum