Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

Sealing Grout

Page 1 of 2
Hi,
I'm wanting to seal our new grout in the bathrooms, laundry, and probably kitchen splashback. Was just wondering if anyone recommends a product for doing this and where did you get it from? Is it ludicrously expensive?
Thanks
There are two types of sealers for grout on the market.

1. Clear penertrating sealers: These grout sealers sit just below the grout and only stop deep staining so it gives you enough time to treat the stain. It does nothing to stop the dirt from sticking to the grout. If you want a good grout clear sealer than google spirit marble tile care products.

2. Grout colour sealers: this is the new type of sealer on the market it comes in colours and sits on top of the grout so it is ten times easier to keep clean. You can buy a DIY kit or have an applicator come to you check out my website www.groutperfect.net.au

Craig
Colour grout sealers have been around for quite a number of years. I did all my grout lines through my home, about 60 metres about 15 years ago. My grout always then stayed the colour. It didn't stop the dirty water from mopping to pool in the grout lines, but all I had to do to clean the grout was get a old damp rag and wipe the grout lines and they came clean.
Hi Megg

Yes you are right they were out 15 years ago but we called them grout stains as they are actually a clear sealer with dye added to them and they do work but the new products are a topical coating sealer.

craig
@groutperfect - just checked out yr website......thats brilliant.

i will def be doing our new tiles once the house is built.

in our old place, i just used the stuff from bunnings and after 6 months had to re-do it.
has anyone tried groutperfect ? what is their experience?
GardenofNeedn-58
@groutperfect - just checked out yr website......thats brilliant.

i will def be doing our new tiles once the house is built.

in our old place, i just used the stuff from bunnings and after 6 months had to re-do it.

If you are doing a new house, or newly grouted bathroom remember to read the instructions specifically take note of the time you need to leave after installation to sealing.
I'm also interested in something like this, we are currently building a new house and will be putting polished pre-sealed porcelain tiles and want to seal the grout. Can i use colour Colour grout sealers on polished porcelain? And being a total noob i have no idea, but is that something that we can do after handover do is that part of the tiling process?

Sorry to hijack your thread.
boosho
I'm also interested in something like this, we are currently building a new house and will be putting polished pre-sealed porcelain tiles and want to seal the grout. Can i use colour Colour grout sealers on polished porcelain? And being a total noob i have no idea, but is that something that we can do after handover do is that part of the tiling process?

When you seal the grout you are only meant to put the seal on the grout, not the actual tiles!
boosho

Yes you sure can we have had many home owners colour seal there grout on polished porcelain tiles.

Craig
AJW

When you seal the grout you are only meant to put the seal on the grout, not the actual tiles!

Grout Perfect
Yes you sure can we have had many home owners colour seal there grout on polished porcelain tiles.

Craig

Awesome thanks guys. Ill look into that when the house is complete.
How easily do the lighter colour grout seal's discolour? I wanted white grout on the floors but I was strongly advised against it as it never stays white for long, is this fool proof in that regard? or will it still require extra effort to keep clean?
Grout colour seal will never discolour but it can still get dirty if not maintained the correct way, specially on the light colours such as a white colour seal. The colour sealer will still be there but if you clean with dirty water and let it dry out on it`s own than the dirt will sit on top of the sealer.

You need to make sure the water is clean and you will have to dry the floor ( grout ) once cleaning is finished. This will keep the grout that is colour sealed nice and clean and looking brand new all the time. Wet cleaning is the main cause of grout looking dirty due to dirty water being left behind but if you clean as mentioned above than you should have no problems.

Here is what we recommend for cleaning tiled floors sealed or unsealed.

Step 1. Vacuum or Dry sweep your floor first.
Step 2. Wet clean
You can use either a standard mop or a microfiber mop, we prefer the old stringer mops as these mops can reach down into the grout joint.

Add some neutral pH 7 chemical to your water. Use some pressure to work the mop! Than dry the floor with a bath towel or terry towel, ( try not to let the area you just cleaned dry on its own! ) This is a very important step in keeping tiled floors and grout squeaky clean. Tip! Once you wet mop the floor the dirt is now emulsified and towel drying will remove the now dirty liquid leaving your tile and grout clean and free off contamination. Remember moisture evaporates dirt does not.

Whatever chemical you use, make sure to read the label first to ensure that it is a pH 7 neutral floor cleaner as higher pH chemicals can re soil tile and grout floors faster due to not being rinsed off after use. Most cleaning supply shops sell a neutral cleaner for tiled floor surfaces. If you find your colour sealed grout is darkening use a soft grout brush and window cleaner than dry with a towel.

Craig
has anyone already used this grout colour seal? any experience?
Looks great.. we have a cream grout, after 6 months, its not so good. Toothbrush works wonders, but I would prefer not to do that.
humble did you use a color sealer?
humble
Looks great.. we have a cream grout, after 6 months, its not so good. Toothbrush works wonders, but I would prefer not to do that.

We dont have a sealer. Just straight grout, I think I want to use one.
me 2, I will be giving it a go, Craig, for around the bath hob, which product do I buy? I will be going for white as our tiles are white gloss but is there a special wall grout for around a hob?
Hi Deb

If you are installing grout for a hob you should be using sanded grout. If installing grout for a wall it should be white unsanded grout.

If you are colour sealing your grout with a white tile than I would recommend our Bright White. If your tiles are off white than I would go for our Mist White. Just make sure the grout sits below the tile ( recessed ).

Please note you can not use your shower cubicle (wet area) for 5 days after you have colour sealed the grout. For dry areas you can use straight away but can not wet mop your floors for 2 weeks.

Craig
Thank's Craig. The grout is in but they used a darker grout on the hob than the shower. The tiles are white gloss. I will get the white volor sealer. I cant stand the darker grout it looks dirty but its not.
Related
3/09/2023
Natural stone- stain removal and gloss sealing

General Discussion

Hi, planning on using the attached stone pieces in my bathroom. I want to remove stains and gloss seal. Can I get some advice on best way to remove stains and best…

20/04/2024
Sealing Gas heater brevis underground duct

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Hi everyone Question about Brevis gas heating undergound - was recently installed by previous owners (<1 year old) but live in a relatively large house - 4 bdr - and only…

5/08/2023
Grout tile around spigot?

Paving & Concreting

Thanks splashers, that makes sense. The waterproofing guy used this Davco product, I will raise the issue with builder and hopefully get resolved with him - if not…

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum