Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

exhaust fan options for flat roof

Page 1 of 1
I have been looking for an exhaust fan that is suitable for a flat roof. Initially I had found a basic Martec model, but it requires a ceiling space of 180mm which I don't have. Looking at other they are needing 220mm.

Has anyone come across this issue before and found a suitable exhaust fan? I don't want to have an in wall exhaust but that might be the only option.
I have exactly the same issue and it's so annoying!

Do you have exposed beams? I hope so because I may have a solution...

A builder suggested creating a ceiling cavity by putting in a ceiling below our exposed beams. That way we can install a decent ceiling fan/heater/light. Otherwise we're stuck with another cheap looking plastic white fan in the wall. (Apparently exposed beams give you higher than normal ceilings so bringing the ceiling down below them only brings it to normal height...)
Yes we have the same exposed beam situation and my builder too has suggested that as an option. Not sure if we will go that way as it will make that one room different to the rest of the house. Hard to say if it would be noticably different or not.

Are you heading for that solution?
We want to retain the character of the house and the beams are definitely a part of that, but maybe the bathroom and ensuite can be exceptions. Two less rooms to clean the daddy long legs spider webs off the beams! And it's pretty ratty-looking having an ugly wall fan on one wall and a cheap looking radiator with a string hanging down on another. So yes, now that I've thought about it a bit more I think it's worth it.

I'd be interested to know what you do and how it goes. My reno work is still a few months off (alas) but I'll let you know what happens.
You're describing my bathroom exactly with the grill heater and the string! We don't actually have any exhaust fan in there at all, and we've never had a problem with moisture.

We actually have got rid of the beams and replaced the entire roof in the living area which we have extended but we are still left with beams in the rest of the house. We originally had the wood boards as well on the ceiling but step one in the re vamp of the house was painting these white but I was too scared to do the beams at the same time in case i hated it. However I will be painting the remaining beams white after we have finished.
Pay a roofer to install a wirly bird/ fresh air vent directly above where your exhaust fan is required, this is the best way as it lets the air escape, far better then letting it go into a small roof space.
Related
24/12/2023
Seeking feedback: Exhaust fan for home office

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

My home office is hot with computer equipment running virtually 18 hours a day. When it gets unbearably warm I simply step out of my door into the living area which is…

25/02/2024
How to exhaust heat from closed in veranda

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

There may be answers here but can't find anything. I have a closed in veranda, four windows. North facing, just had sunblock blinds installed. A bit cooler (actually…

12/04/2024
combining the ceiling fan switch, light switch, dimmer switc

Building A New House

Any electricians here please help. 1) Will the Fan need separate switch to ON/OFF/Speed eventhough it comes with Remote 2) how about…

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum