Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

Bathroom wall with skirting high wall tile or no wall tile ?

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone !

We were at Di Lorenzo tiles last week for our wet area tile selection and got to know that we can have only "one tile high" tiles in the bathroom walls which is included in our contract.

Just wondering if anyone has something like this in their bathrooms ? That is, just skirting high wall tile or no wall tiles at all ?

We are not sure how this will look since all the display homes we looked at had tiles right up till the ceiling !!

Should we pay the extra and go till mid-level ?

Any help much appreciated !!
I would either go skirting tile or all the way to the ceiling. Anything in between would look odd IMHO.

In our current unit, the bathrooms have tiles to the ceiling and the guest toilet and laundry has skirting tile. both look nice. It's also what I'm getting for my new build.
Hi rupz
I tend to agree with Casa2 either go skirting tile or all the way to the ceiling.

Our house will have the skirting tile a bit like this display home:

http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae89/cous1981/bathroombrown.jpg
Our main ensuite is tiled to the ceiling, 3 minor ensuites as well as laundry and 3 toilets all only have skirting height tiling (except in showers obviously).
Hi Rupz,

Our house only had one row skirting tiles and one row of tiles above vanity included. We paid extra to have our tiling around our bath come up to the same level as that of our vanity so there is continuity within the room.
We also had to do the same in the kitchen as the included tiles went up to the underside of the overhead cupboards, but were only one row high around the window right next to them. Would have looked a bit naff IMO.
Hi,we are going to pay to go all the way to the ceiling,looks
imo!
Thanks everyone for your replies !

I would have loved to go all the way to the ceiling, but I think they quoted around $1500 extra (standard tiles) per bathroom for that... !

Perhaps we will have skirting level in the laundry, powder room and the main bath. But go ceiling high in the ensuite.

Also wondering if the skirting level tile can be the same as the floor tiles (450*400 Porcelain in beige) ? Will that look nice ?

What about if we have no tiles on the walls at all ?hmmm Has anyone seen an example of that ?
Hey cous1981 .. thanks so much for that image link, I guess that solves my question about having the same tile on the floor as well as on the skirting.

Thanks !
rupz

I would have loved to go all the way to the ceiling, but I think they quoted around $1500 extra (standard tiles) per bathroom for that... !

Perhaps we will have skirting level in the laundry, powder room and the main bath. But go ceiling high in the ensuite.

Also wondering if the skirting level tile can be the same as the floor tiles (450*400 Porcelain in beige) ? Will that look nice ?

What about if we have no tiles on the walls at all ?hmmm Has anyone seen an example of that ?

That sounds great
kerry-ann
rupz

That sounds great

Thanks Kerry-Ann
Hopefully we will be able to make some decision this weekend !
If you are going to use a floor tile as a skirting - and if it is a 450x450 cut it down as peer picture above so it doesnt look so chunky.....say no more than 150mm high.
Thanks Zedman .. !

That's a very good point. We have one of our floor tiles as 300*300 .. so we might have to give out specific instructions so that they only put 150 on the wall skirting.
Again, thanks to everyone for their valuable inputs.. It definitely helped us a lot when we went to Di Lorenzo for our selections over the weekend.

Will be posting up our selections in a few minutes !
Related
18/08/2023
Bathroom floor tile layout

Bathrooms and Laundry

Possibly both depending on the sizing. Idea of working from the centre is that you dont have a 20mm thin tile at one end and a 400mm at the other end. A quick search on…

5/02/2024
Skirting and Floorboard space

Building A New House

Joe Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. If you haven't sorted this already you need to caulk this gap. Not sure where you are but if you are in Sydney I can…

8/02/2024
Skirting/Windows Trim acceptable tolerance/gaps

Building A New House

Caulking gaps that big will look horrible

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum