Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

Cleaning the grout and sealing our porcelain floor tiles

Page 1 of 1
Help!! Our builder didn't clean the grout (or seal it) on our beautiful 30 x 60 porcelain floor tiles in our ensuite, bathroom, powderoom, or laundry. The grout looks very 'patchy' - powdery white and dark in spots. The grout is supposed to match exactly with the tile colour (medium coffee colour).

Could someone please suggest how we can do this without using harsh bleach or harsh chemicals that may ruin the grout? Are there professionals that can do this for us as it is a largish job? Once this is done we also want to 'seal' the grout. Can professionals also seal the grout for us?

We are organising our 90 day maintenance for the house so, we don't want to do it until all our 'issues' have been fixed. Wouldn't want traddies coming in and out ruining the floors again!

Please help. I can't stand looking at patchy looking grout any longer.......
Have you tried just water and a toothbrush? Or even a dry tooth brush?
Basaad, never fear mate, grout can be easily removed without any damage to your tiles and then sealed no problems.

If you want, pm me with your details on where you are, sqm involved and i can get someone out to give you a quote to do a clean and seal. He is very experienced and does this type of work as a living. Using my products to seal and his quality work you'll have a beautiful looking bathroom in no time.

PS: He just finished doing Joe Hascham's place
I'd expect too little time has elapsed for the grout to become really soiled. The uneven patchy grout colour is quite common, and is usually to do with how the tiler went about the grouting. Chances are, you will not fix this by cleaning. Certainly, make it known to the builder that you are disappointed with this at your inspection. I reckon the tiler should be brought to account.

But there is a perfect solution!
That is having the grout colour-sealed. There are professionals who can clean the grout and then apply a colour seal of your choice, which not only provides a nice uniform finish, but dramatically improves performance, provides excellent stain resistance and minimises maintenance.

The question is, will the tiler/builder agree to compensate you for the cost of having this done? If you can get them to pay for even part of this, you have the perfect solution.

Ash.
Just posted and saw Miteq's post.

Re-grouting and sealing is a much more messy and labour intensive remedy than having it colour-sealed. And as much as clear sealers have benefits, they do not offer anywhere near the same results and ongoing benefits that colour-sealing can. In my mind, the choice is chalk and cheese! That is, unless there is actually any physical problems with the grouting job. If the grouting looks good apart from being patchy, have it professionally colour-sealed. If the grout job is * generally, have it re-grouted and then colour-sealed.

Ash.
Thanks for all your replies. The floor tiles are brand new and the grout doesn't need replacing. What if I 'steam cleaned' the tiles and then sealed them? Do you think that might do the job? The grout is already the same colour as the tiles so I'm not too sure what 'colour-sealed' means. Does it mean you just seal the grout itself, or does the sealer have colour in it?
No don't attempt to do it yourself. And I suggest not sealing with clear sealers.

At your building inspection, show the builder what you are concerned about. He might offer some 'patch up' remedy, which may not be ideal.

Colour-sealing is a durable topical coating that is coloured, and offers premium sealing and stain resistance, that surpasses the performance of any clear sealers. There are heaps of colours so it can be colour matched, providing a uniform finish to cover over the patchy grout. It really is the best way to go!

Ash.
Hi basaad

You can find out more info regarding grout colour sealing here http://www.safeclean.com.au or http://www.groutperfect.com.au we have applicators in Melbourne that maybe able to help you out pm me and I will give you there contact details. Your builder will find it is cheaper to colour seal than re grout and a lot better for yourself.

You can call me too on 0403 33 26 46

Craig
Grout Perfect Australia
Agree with Ash here, just re-read your post and didnt realise that the GROUT was patchy. I read that there was grout haze over the tiles...my fault.

Definatly dont attempt to fix yourself. Get someone in and charge the builder if possible, althought i doubt it. If needs be i can speak to the person i was going to recommend anyway, mabe there is something he can do for you?? As stated before, pm me if thats what you'd like.
Related
3/06/2024
clean outdoor porcelain tiles

Outdoor Living

I’ve just had some outdoor textured porcelain tiles installed, and they’re already getting a bit dirty from all the trees and leaves that are around. I’m looking at…

3/09/2023
Natural stone- stain removal and gloss sealing

General Discussion

Hi, planning on using the attached stone pieces in my bathroom. I want to remove stains and gloss seal. Can I get some advice on best way to remove stains and best…

20/04/2024
Sealing Gas heater brevis underground duct

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Hi everyone Question about Brevis gas heating undergound - was recently installed by previous owners (<1 year old) but live in a relatively large house - 4 bdr - and only…

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum