Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

Child friendly bath

Page 1 of 1
Does anyone know whether the free standing baths are child-friendly compared to the usual standard bath? I think the look of the free standing ones but do have 2 small kids.
We are having one and I can't wait. I will be able to access the kidlets from all sides (ours is in centre of room) plus has a hand held water spray for hosing both them and the bath down.
kyton
We are having one and I can't wait. I will be able to access the kidlets from all sides (ours is in centre of room) plus has a hand held water spray for hosing both them and the bath down.

That sound like my kinda bath!
We wanted (or I should say ... I wanted) a clawfoot as well, in the end the builder was going to charge us way too much (like $5k) so I opted for a similar depth & shape Caroma Medina which is built into a tiled hob (hope that's the correct term).

We've tested it out . .. lovely and deep, I only need to fill it half way. Our kids are nearly 5 and 6.5yrs and it was ok for them, kind of deep and thus tall to get out of, not a problem because I can lift them out etc, but it could be a problem for someone old / frail or disabled.

As far as babies go I am not sure if the height makes a big difference or not, but I know low baths are generally easier when it comes to bathing the bubs. With our current bath it could be an advantage if they can't climb out I suppose, and now all I need is that hose attachment

So clawfoot I dare say that kids (depending on age) won't be able to get in / out easily and probably same for older people, if that's not an issue then go for it.
A hob type bath has the advantage of being able to have toys etc around it (you could always put a shelf near the clawfoot), but the disadvantage is the hob is water on the tiles where toys are and thus potential mould etc too.

Anyway just my thoughts out loud....
I see that Pebble has already pointed out water and mould issues. Make sure that the bath is positioned so that you can reach on all sides to dry down splashes. Clawfoot baths are a little easier as you can always reach underneath.

Kylie
Related
24/02/2024
Kids friendly options for exposed aggregate patio

Flooring & Floor Covering

After some ideas on making our patio kid friendly . Currently we have exposed aggregate. The patio faces west and is always in sun even though it has a shade directly…

25/10/2023
Freestanding bath taps and kids

Bathrooms and Laundry

Bathroom renovation will likely include a back-to-corner bath and we’re considering a freestanding tap with hand-held shower such as the picture included. My hesitation…

26/11/2023
Frameless bath screen.

General Discussion

Thanks for the advise,much appreciatedđź‘Ť

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum