Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

Horizontal or Vertical?

Page 1 of 1
I need some suggestions on how to lay our tiles. We are using 600x600 tiles on the floor and extending the same tiles up one wall around the bath and window to make it a feature. On the other walls we are using an off white tile which only comes in 300x600. Should we lay this tile vertically or horizontally?

Also the off white tile is gloss and the floor tile is Matt. We can use either the same Matt tile as the floor for the feature wall or a semi gloss version. Given the off white is gloss, should we opt for the semi gloss version of the floor tile for the feature wall, or would that make everything too confusing?
Horizontal, not a big fan of vertical wall tiles
I think the 300x600 should be the tiles you use as a feature wall tile. Tile your floor and most of your walls with the 600x600, and make 300x600 onto the feature wall. It's a smaller tiles so naturally it draws the attention, just like how people use smaller tiles and lay herringbone pattern as feature walls.

Go for horizontal for the 300x600.

600x600 in bathroom is nice, less grout, more tidy.

Matt or gloss depends on the overall look of your bathroom. What taps you are using, matte black or chrome. What cabinets you are using. What shower frame is it. How much natural light is there into your bathroom. Do you want reflection to brighten it up or you want softer feeling.
Jason526
I think the 300x600 should be the tiles you use as a feature wall tile. Tile your floor and most of your walls with the 600x600, and make 300x600 onto the feature wall. It's a smaller tiles so naturally it draws the attention, just like how people use smaller tiles and lay herringbone pattern as feature walls.

Matt or gloss depends on the overall look of your bathroom. What taps you are using, matte black or chrome. What cabinets you are using. What shower frame is it. How much natural light is there into your bathroom. Do you want reflection to brighten it up or you want softer feeling.

Thanks Jason. Unfotunately the off white doesn't come in 600x600 so I have to use 300x600 for these. The feature tile comes in both sizes as well as matt or semi gloss.The taps will be chrome and there's not a great deal of natural light. There's only one north facing window, which is located on the feature wall, so it only gets sun early in the morning and stronger during winter. The feature wall doesn't get any light because the only window is on that wall.The vanity will be made of polytech woodgrain.
MCDAT
Jason526

Thanks Jason. Unfotunately the off white doesn't come in 600x600 so I have to use 300x600 for these. The feature tile comes in both sizes as well as matt or semi gloss.The taps will be chrome and there's not a great deal of natural light. There's only one north facing window, which is located on the feature wall, so it only gets sun early in the morning and stronger during winter. The feature wall doesn't get any light because the only window is on that wall.The vanity will be made of polytech woodgrain.

I mean use the same 600x600 floor tiles on walls too. For the feature wall, use that 300x600 off white ones.
Like this, same tiles on floor and 3 walls, only the feature wall uses different tiles to "stand out".
Jason526
MCDAT
Jason526

I mean use the same 600x600 floor tiles on walls too. For the feature wall, use that 300x600 off white ones.

Aah. No I don't like that idea, mainly because I think it will make the room too dark. It was my initial plan actually but when I got the tiles home I thought they looked too dark for our small bathroom. This is why I decided to just use the tiles on one wall and use an off white tile on all the other walls to brighten the room up.
Related
16/07/2023
Elevated House - can these horizontal beams be removed?

General Discussion

yes they don’t hold up the house

21/03/2024
Heated vertical towel rail at the end of a walk-in shower

Bathrooms and Laundry

Electrical just got back to me and said the most they can provide is a single power point on the Bedroom 1 side of that wall. After handover, your towel rail installer…

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum