Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

WC waterproofing and floor waste

Page 1 of 1
I’m looking to clarify some advice I have been given by a bathroom renovator. My 20yo house has a separate WC (no basin) on the second level. The renovation company is telling me I need to waterproof and install a waste in this room. My understanding is that it only needed to be water resistant (FC sheet on floor boards, bedding and tiles with no waste). Can anyone kindly clarify requirements?
3.8.1.2 clearly states water resistant.

The general term of "water proof" usually pertains to protecting the floor to a standard which the installer finds acceptable and this typically means water proofing as is defined by the BCA because its easier and safer to go the extra mile and avoid future issues.

Just waterproof the area. Its likely small and wont cost much and since your on timber joists its also piece of mind.

Definitions below.

Waterproof means the property of a material that does not allow moisture to penetrate through it.
Water resistant means the property of a system or material that restricts moisture movement and will not degrade under conditions of moisture.
Bimbob
3.8.1.2 clearly states water resistant.

The general term of "water proof" usually pertains to protecting the floor to a standard which the installer finds acceptable and this typically means water proofing as is defined by the BCA because its easier and safer to go the extra mile and avoid future issues.

Just waterproof the area. Its likely small and wont cost much and since your on timber joists its also piece of mind.

Definitions below.

Waterproof means the property of a material that does not allow moisture to penetrate through it.
Water resistant means the property of a system or material that restricts moisture movement and will not degrade under conditions of moisture.

Thanks Bimbob!

The only part I don't understand is whether that then requires a floor waste to be added (additional cost)?
Thats not in the BCA, refer to AS3500
Related
1/03/2024
Waterproofing slab before laying floor buttons....

General Discussion

Hey There. No problems re jumping in. My original question was "should I have waterproofed" the concrete slab before putting batons down. We have been told we should…

13/01/2024
Boundary wall and Waterproofing

General Discussion

just talk to them, tell them it is unsightly and ask them for a solution. Any reasonable person would render it for you or do something similar. If they give you trouble…

19/09/2023
Waterproofing NSW

Bathrooms and Laundry

I have researched this topic in detail recently but for another state which has no licensing requirements at all so any handy man can waterproof any old way and not have…

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum