Join Login
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry

Toilet cistern not filling with water

Page 1 of 1

My toilet worked fine until a couple of days ago, when the cistern failed to fill up after flushing.

I removed all the connections and the inlet valve (it is a standard Fluidmaster 400UK Bottom Entry Toilet Inlet Valve) to check for possible errors. The water pressure if fine, the connection hose is not blocked but not a single drop of water makes it to the cistern

Before I remove more parts or call a plumber, can someone perhaps shed some light what the problem could be? I assumed there is a straight through connection from the water supply to the cistern and the sudden failure does not make sense to me.

Clearly it appears there is a bit more to it, appreciate any help to resolve this.

Thanks and regards
Chris
try turning off the stop valve
unscrew the fill hose from the cistern
aim hose into a bucket and then open stop valve
just to confirm you do have water flow
I already tested the fill hose and made sure it works ok - there is no blockage. The problem is somewhere between the two endpoints shown in my photograph on the left and right.
Did you check the seal under the float?
No I did not, I removed the float so it can not be the problem.
The float activates the seal bit if you have lifted the top cap off, then you have also lifted the seal.

The only thing left is the plastic pig's tail in the shaft.
You were right the problem was that 'pig's tail' thing in the shaft deteriorated over time and blocked the water supply.

The first plumber I called, looked at it for 2 minutes then said I need a completely new toilet costing $2'100. The second one not only identified the problem properly but fixed it in a couple of hours for a fraction of the price.

Thanks for your help.
Related
5/12/2023
Rainwater Tanks not filling in light rain

General Discussion

That was always going to be a challenge and a test of patience. Full marks to your mate. Did you discuss the wet area near the trampoline?

23/05/2024
Dish washer not getting water. Defect aquastop?

Kitchen Appliances

I get an error message on my dishwasher (whirlpool ADG 7580) indicating that the water inlet is closed. I think there is a…

27/07/2023
Adding a toilet/wash room to small house

General Discussion

Hey, I am wanting to add a second toilet to my house, bit we have limited room. There is a hallway/entry that is never used, so was thinking this could be an option. Only…

You are here
Building ForumBathrooms and Laundry
Home
Pros
Forum